Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I got 510(1st attempt) & I need advice for retaking GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I got 510(1st attempt) & I need advice for retaking GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 08:05
Hello all,
I took the GMAT on the 9th of July after preparing for close to 4 months. My score was a 510-42 in Quants(57 Percentile- is this extremely bad?) and a 19 in Verbal (17 Percentile- I know this is extremely bad). Anyway, I prepared using the material I was given by my coaching centre and I deserve that Verbal score because I concentrated more on Quant than I did on verbal.

I wrote my essay with no issues. Finished it and had time to check it again. My problem was in the IR. I really needed to have a toilet break and took an unscheduled break for 2 minutes, which was a bad decision as I had close to 4 minutes left with 4 questions to go. I guessed the very last question of the IR section and as I was about to press Confirm, I ran out of time. I'm sure this brought down my score-- I'm not sure by how much though.

I got through the Quant section which got quite challenging as it wore on. Could not answer a few questions but tried them and picked the best answers.

My problem with Verbal was that there were many SC, RC and CR questions for which I wasn't sure about the answers.

Anyway, I'm planning on taking it again soon. But I want to give myself atleast a month or two to prepare. Also, I'd like to apply to the UK for my MBA which I plan to do in 2014. Any suggestions as to how to go about planning and taking the test?

Please help. I'm feeling a little clueless at the moment.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: I got 510(1st attempt) & I need advice for retaking GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:47
What are you using for prep materials? Do you have access to any CATs?

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 21

Re: I got 510(1st attempt) & I need advice for retaking GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:54
Hey buddy, first of all, keep ur head up! Thats just what the GMAT sometimes does to people. U just gotta stay strong and study hard for the next time!!!

bharatkumaraswami wrote:
Hello all,
My problem was in the IR. I really needed to have a toilet break and took an unscheduled break for 2 minutes, which was a bad decision as I had close to 4 minutes left with 4 questions to go. I guessed the very last question of the IR section and as I was about to press Confirm, I ran out of time. I'm sure this brought down my score-- I'm not sure by how much though.

Secondly, I think you should buy the MGMAT books and at first get acquainted with the GMAT structure... --> The IR cannot bring down ur score because it does not affect it in any way. U are scored according to ur performance on verbal and quant, but NOT on IR and AWA.

If you got any questions, here is the place to ask ;)

Best

With all the best!

Re: I got 510(1st attempt) & I need advice for retaking GMAT   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 11:54