Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 05:42
Hi everybody,

This is my first post, I've been reading a lot in this forum and its very helpful and motivating, so I would appreciate some thoughts on my situation.
I am devastated about my scores, I spent the last 10 months studying and only studying for the GMAT, I got a 530 (V27 Q35) on last december and yesterday I took it again and I got a 550 (V27 Q39). I was aiming to 650+ to have some chance a top 10 and top 20 b-schools, but now my chances are down the toilet, right?
Here is some background and profile info.
I am 34 years old, I am from Argentina , I have been living with my girlfriend (American) in New York since last April.
I have 15 years of working experience, I worked in big companies, multinational companies, medium size companies, family business, etc I had my own company then I sold it, I worked in a middle company once again and then I had my restaurant and sold it last year to go for a MBA in USA or Europe. My goal was to go a Top B-School among other reasons to create an international network and try to contact angel investors, or VC so they help me build my own company here in US or in Europe. Now, with this lousy scores, I don't know what to do, Should I apply anyway to top 10 b-schools (3rd round)? should I apply to lower rank business schools? Are there any b-schools that focus on Entrepreneurship? Do you guys know any good b-schools here on North east coast and in France?
I am really lost, the only thing I am sure is that I don't want to keep losing any more time studying for the GMAT, I am not gonna take it again. At this point, I only want to get to any decent b-school and start building my company.
I would really appreciate any help.
Best
Rodrigo Valiente
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:20
rodrigo wrote:
Hi everybody,

This is my first post, I've been reading a lot in this forum and its very helpful and motivating, so I would appreciate some thoughts on my situation.
I am devastated about my scores, I spent the last 10 months studying and only studying for the GMAT, I got a 530 (V27 Q35) on last december and yesterday I took it again and I got a 550 (V27 Q39). I was aiming to 650+ to have some chance a top 10 and top 20 b-schools, but now my chances are down the toilet, right?
Here is some background and profile info.
I am 34 years old, I am from Argentina , I have been living with my girlfriend (American) in New York since last April.
I have 15 years of working experience, I worked in big companies, multinational companies, medium size companies, family business, etc I had my own company then I sold it, I worked in a middle company once again and then I had my restaurant and sold it last year to go for a MBA in USA or Europe. My goal was to go a Top B-School among other reasons to create an international network and try to contact angel investors, or VC so they help me build my own company here in US or in Europe. Now, with this lousy scores, I don't know what to do, Should I apply anyway to top 10 b-schools (3rd round)? should I apply to lower rank business schools? Are there any b-schools that focus on Entrepreneurship? Do you guys know any good b-schools here on North east coast and in France?
I am really lost, the only thing I am sure is that I don't want to keep losing any more time studying for the GMAT, I am not gonna take it again. At this point, I only want to get to any decent b-school and start building my company.
I would really appreciate any help.
Best
Rodrigo Valiente

Sorry to know abt your score..
BTW i'm also in same case. I lost thrice!
I lost all my hope... got into my family business right now!...

But still i hope i would earn MBA some day...
BTW i'm also lookin for Entrepreneurship Schools..

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:27
Hi Rodrigo,

I think you should hold off on applying and try to get your score up. Have you been doing self study? I would advise you to get a tutor to assess what you need to work on. I think round 3 may be too tough for someone with your breadth of experiences.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 17:04
Thank you guys for your responses. Yes, I have been studying on my own. I used the OG13, Official Verbal Review 2nd edit, Quant Review 2nd edition, MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math, MGMAT Advanced GMAT Quant, MGMAT SC, I did all the exercises, more than once, I review them many times too. I had a tutor for math at the beginning for two or three months, then I decided to study on my own. I can't go through the whole process of the GMAT over again, I am done with it. My question remains though, are there programs in US or in Europe that could accepted me with that score? Are there any b-schools that focus on entrepreneurship?
I would really appreciate some advice on these matters. Thank you
Re: I got a 530 1st time and now a 550. What to do?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 17:04