Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: I got beat by the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
joshhowatt wrote:
So I got beat...

Got a 660 (q41, v40).

Which was surprising to me. As my last few prep tests gave me great hope:

MGMAT 2: 720 (Q48, V40)
MGMAT 3: 730 (Q46, V44)
MGMAT 4: 730 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT 5: 740 (Q46, V45)
MGMAT 6: 740 (Q47, V44)

My GMAT Preps were 720 and 700 but I took these somewhere in between the MGMATs, but not sure exactly what dates and the exact breakdown. I honestly don't know where things went wrong today. I think I may have gotten totally freaked out by the first quant question (word problem) and then let it get to me throughout the remainder of the test. Though I have to say I thought as a whole, the entire test was definitely harder than anything I'd encountered during practice (including the MGMATs which I've heard to be harder than the actual GMAT). My question is whether I should attempt the test again (I honestly don't know if I haven't it in me, or if it will do much good--should I just focus on a kick butt essay?), do I stand a chance at acceptance to the schools mentioned below, and am I better off resigning myself to a 2nd tier school and just keeping my score. Please, see below for my profile. Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

Best,
Josh

A bit about me:

I'm a white male, 32, gay (not sure if this matters). I attended the University of California - Irvine and received a BA in Theater (GPA - 3.005 - more on this later). In regards to my GMAT score, I am aiming for at least 700 (45/40 range - practice tests have been around there and I still have a month and a half before the test).

So my story goes that I went off to college, where I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I started in Pre-Med (hated it), and did fine my first year. However, it was during my second year that my father passed away (suicide). As to be expected, my grades plummeted. My brother became heavily involved in drugs, a white supremicist gang (long story). My mother was devistated. I was barely holding together. During the end of my second year, I changed my major to Theater, got decent grades, and was on the Dean's list quite a few times. I ended up graduating with a 3.005 after 5 years of struggling to bring my GPA back up (my father's passing was extremely difficult on my family and me).

Next, I moved to New York and persued the dream. However--as it most often does--the dream did not pan out. I worked for a major hotel in Times Square at the Front Desk for 6 years (the money was suprisingly good, and so regretfully I didn't take opportunities for advancement, although I was the Shift Lead and had the highest upsell record and enrollment in loyalty program 4 years in a row). This is a huge deal in the hotel, however I'm not sure how this translates to Grad Schools. Last year I transferred to a coveted Sales position at an even more prestigious hotel (very difficult to get into). Along the way within my company I cross-trained in several of our sister properties: 2 years in Marketing, 1 year in Copywriting, I took company sponsored Graphic Design/Marketing Courses at UCLA (all A's). I have 2 bosses that will no doubt write rave reviews for me. I have quite a few extracurricular going for me, as well: I was published in 6 literary journals, I wrote a novel (that never got picked up), I have been an accomplished pianist since childhood where I won countless competitions and recitals. As you can see, creativity and marketing is where I shine. I was a gymnastics coach and team captain in college, and was an assistant manager at a coffee shop during the same period. I am the first one in my family to graduate from college (let alone grad school), and took part in a Leadership Development Program at UCI.

So I'm at a point now, where I'm trying to weave everything together to exemplify leadership (ie: holding the family together after my father's passing, etc.) My doubts are that my GPA is clearly lacking, and also I'm not so sure that schools are going to be thrilled that I was a Theater major. Also I don't have any official management roles, mostly implied leadership roles, and those outside of work. I want to apply to top schools, but is it a lost cause? I have no doubt I could craft an outstanding essay, I'm just worried about how to phrase/spin the content. I wanted to apply to Columbia and NYU (both close to me), Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Cornell, and Booth. Boston University and Boston College (both backups). I will be applying first round. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I failed to mention that I began this whole application process 3 years ago, but ran into some medical issues. Which are now resolved. It's been a difficult life to say the least. But hey I'm still here. And that's somehing.

I doubt the top schools get many applications from theater majors (with experience working in hotels) so you certainly add diversity to the class. The point is that you need to tie your creative bend to MBA. You need to justify that MBA is the next sensible career move for you. How does it help you in achieving your dream, whatever that may be. You need to write excellent and very interesting stories (essays) - challenges you have faced in life, things you have done in your job till date, your future dreams etc. You need to floor the admission committee with your essays.
As for your GMAT score, people with 660 also get into the top schools but since your GPA is not very high, applying with > 700 is definitely better.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I got beat by the GMAT [#permalink]