Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I got this one right, but took me 3min. This is a good one.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I got this one right, but took me 3min. This is a good one. [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
15. I got this one right, but took me 3min. This is a good one. Tricky!

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Last edited by GMATBLACKBELT on 01 Feb 2008, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 13:00
If i understand correctly, the question is asking which choice would provide a reason for increase in piracy..and not counter it..

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. [counters piracy in a way, so not an objection]
[counters piracy in a way, so not an objection]
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such
[this is legal duplication, so not an objection]

So it leaves us with C or D. I think C is a stronger choice between the two since if there are several software applications on each computer, and more computers than software applications were purchased, it does indicate piracy. I could not find a reason for D to counter a claim that there was no piracy.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 14:28
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such

4 out of 5 options COUNTER the allegations of piracy by Germans. A, B and C all do that. D is irrelevant, doesn't accuse, but doesn't counter either.

E is incomplete. So i can't make my mind up. GMATBLACKBELT, are u sure u have posted the full question??
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 14:35
I think the answer is D because the sentence states that a typical computer has not only one but several commercial programs and the number of computers sold was greater than the number of programs purchased by Germans.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 14:55
Edited. Was missing a bit on E. Sorry the page cut off in the pdf and I didn't notice.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 18:28
Is it C?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 18:30
ttram wrote:
Is it C?

Sorry, I change my mind. I pick A.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 19:11
ttram wrote:
ttram wrote:
Is it C?

Sorry, I change my mind. I pick A.

A has no effect on the argument b/c A says nothing about whether Germans buy or copy the program. A is the best choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 00:05
Expert's post
C

Assumption 1: There is other reason that Germans purchased fewer number of computer programs.

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. - out
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.- people may not use these programs.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. - a good one. But Germans may also purchase programs outside of Germany for use in Germany.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. - it slightly strengthens argument.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. - it slightly strengthens argument.

Tricky. I corrected my answer.

+1 for q

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 02:41
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

I have just re-read the question and I interpreted "counter some reasonalbe objection to" as " strenthen" the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:

If incorrect, please correct me!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 06:14
i think we have to find out which answer weakens the argument .... we are asked to find which response counters (i.e. strengthens) any objection (ie a weakening statement), EXCEPT ....

So i went with A, although im rightly confused :-S
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 08:15

very tricky!!

first: identified the conclusion - prevalance of piracy
second: weaken the conclusion
third: assumptions which support the implied conclusion
forth: among the choices look for the one that does not or least support the assumptions whcih support the conclusion

IMO choice is - A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 09:21
C..

Interpretation: Germans illegally copy

We need to find an answer which doesn't support the above interpretation

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. - Since only few users write their own prgrams, most others will have to buy computer programs but the records show otherwise (not many purchases). This supports interpretation

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. - so, free s/ws not much readily available. They will have to buy. This too supports the interpretation

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. - But what about programs?

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. - but the purchase records show otherwise. Survey not flawed

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. - So survey took care of legal copies - survey not flawed
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 15:32
OA is C

I liked this one b/c its really easy but just as easy to mess up. Essentially the question is asking us to find a counter to a counter argument (reverse counter). Thats why its so tricky.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2008, 18:25
srp wrote:
C..

Interpretation: Germans illegally copy

We need to find an answer which doesn't support the above interpretation

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. - Since only few users write their own prgrams, most others will have to buy computer programs but the records show otherwise (not many purchases). This supports interpretation

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. - so, free s/ws not much readily available. They will have to buy. This too supports the interpretation

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. - But what about programs?

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. - but the purchase records show otherwise. Survey not flawed

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. - So survey took care of legal copies - survey not flawed
The survey mis-counted the duplicate to the purchase. why is it not flawed?

Thank you, I got it! anyway can you make clear the red writing?

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 09:37
If I get this type of Q on the actual test I will go nuts

+1
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 10:55
Yes! I chose C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 19:07
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Question is asking to pick a choice that doesn't object to the argument. This means the choices except the correct answer reveal reasons of sale of fewer computers than the computer programs other than the piracy.

A. This is seen as an objection to the argument. If few German computer users write their own programs, then they don't need to buy the computer program. So the number of computers sold will be more than the computer programs.
B. This is seen as an objection to the argument. In the argument, author talks about the computer programs. Thease may be non commercial as well as commercial. If a few non commnercial programs are available for free, some Germans will not buy these programs.

C. This is NOT an objection to the argument because it does not cite any reason of sale of fewer computers than the programs.
D. This is seen as an objection to the argument. If typical German computer has many programs written on it, all German may not buy the programs.
E.This is seen as an objection to the argument. Making of legal copies may bring down the sale of computer programs.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2008, 19:39
wow -- where did you get this one? Is this from a LSAT?
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2008, 19:39