Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [7] , given: 3

I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yeah, took the GMAT today and scored quite well. :-D

I decided to take the gmat in late August. I bought the official guide 13 and did all the quant problems. I have always been excellent in Math, and especially the PS questions suited me very well. DS was a little bit trickier for me. I think, I was never able to stop the "silly mistakes" there. But fortunately, they only seldomly occured.

In the beginning of September, I made a 2-week trip to the usa (I'm from Austria) and didn't study at all during that time. When I came back from that trip, I started tackling the verbal part. I had bought the mgmat SC guide and the CR powerscore bible. When I did the diagnostic test back in August, I had like 50% mistakes in SC. English is not my native language. And gmat is extremely strict, when it comes to certain rules. I think, in school I never even learned about stuff like that noun modifiers must touch the noun they modify. And in addition, I am especially weak with idioms. I don't like remembering lists and things, when there is no pattern or logic behind it.

CR and RC was a little bit easier, because I am better with vocabulary than grammar. I was able to understand all the texts, and only sometimes there was a single word that I didn't know. But often, I was able to guess, what that word must mean, so that the text made sense.

Last week, I finished the verbal questions of the official guide and started doing full-length practise tests. I did 2 gmatprep-tests and 4 mgmat-tests.

09/29 mgmat 700 (q48, v37) (almost 1 month without doing quant problems)
10/01 gprep 770 (q51, v44)
10/02 mgmat 730 (q46, v44) (messed up timing in quant, last 5 were wrong)
10/03 mgmat 780 (q51, v45)
10/04 gprep 710 (q50, v35) (this made me quite nervous)
10/04 mgmat 770 (q51, v44)

So my potential scoring range was quite large.

Let's get to today.

I scheduled my exam for 1 p.m. The only testing center here in Austria only offers tests one day a week and only on afternoons. 1 p.m. is the earliest possible time. Woke up at 7 a.m. Reviewed some wrong questions from the tests yesterday. Tried to remember some templates for AWA (yeah, that's a part of gmat, too :-D ). And at 11.45 a.m. I went by bike to the testing center. Arrived there at 12.10. Went into the wrong building at first, because the company has officies in two buildings there. But since I had enough time, I didn't get stressed. That's a really important point. If it's possible, plan with a lot of extra time.

I don't think that AWA went well. First of all, the keyboard was a qwerty. In Austria, that's unusual. We normally use qwertz ones. z and y are exchanged and so I had to pay attention to that, too. I finished my text 1 minute before time was up. Started reading my text and the first sentence didn't make any sense. So I had to rewrite it and finished that with like 1 second left. Couldn't read the rest.

I'm not sure about IR. But I think, scoring is not that tough there. And after all, it's not that important anyway.

Break time: drank orange juice and ate some chocolate. But really, you should eat and drink, whatever you like and need. If you need coffee or an energy drink, then that's, what you should drink. If you don't like chocolate, well, eat something else. Especially the second break is really important, because quant makes me tired ... and the exam has been going on for more than 2.5 hours.

So quant: besides the fact that my pen stopped working at the start of quant, there is not that much to tell. I think, the mgmat problems are way tougher than those on the real test. I was able to solve every question and I probably only did some "silly mistakes" as I always do in quant. Finished well in time. 4 minutes to discount double check the last question.

Verbal: Maybe I was looking at the timer too often. I always was a little bit below "2-minutes-per-question". But in the end, I had 2.5 minutes to solve the last question, because I had some short SC questions at the end of the exam.

So yeah, the result's a 770 (q51, v42). Don't know, why v42 is still enough to score 770. But I'll take it. ;-)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 14:00
Expert's post
Wow - nicely done. Thank you for the debrief and staying up late to post it!
Fantastic score.

If you could name one thing that contributed the most to your score - what would it be? (hard work, materials, advice, good background knowledge, any advantages, your good looks, etc?)

Thank you again.
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 14:51
Zinsch123 wrote:
Yeah, took the GMAT today and scored quite well. :-D

I decided to take the gmat in late August. I bought the official guide 13 and did all the quant problems. I have always been excellent in Math, and especially the PS questions suited me very well. DS was a little bit trickier for me. I think, I was never able to stop the "silly mistakes" there. But fortunately, they only seldomly occured.

In the beginning of September, I made a 2-week trip to the usa (I'm from Austria) and didn't study at all during that time. When I came back from that trip, I started tackling the verbal part. I had bought the mgmat SC guide and the CR powerscore bible. When I did the diagnostic test back in August, I had like 50% mistakes in SC. English is not my native language. And gmat is extremely strict, when it comes to certain rules. I think, in school I never even learned about stuff like that noun modifiers must touch the noun they modify. And in addition, I am especially weak with idioms. I don't like remembering lists and things, when there is no pattern or logic behind it.

CR and RC was a little bit easier, because I am better with vocabulary than grammar. I was able to understand all the texts, and only sometimes there was a single word that I didn't know. But often, I was able to guess, what that word must mean, so that the text made sense.

Last week, I finished the verbal questions of the official guide and started doing full-length practise tests. I did 2 gmatprep-tests and 4 mgmat-tests.

09/29 mgmat 700 (q48, v37) (almost 1 month without doing quant problems)
10/01 gprep 770 (q51, v44)
10/02 mgmat 730 (q46, v44) (messed up timing in quant, last 5 were wrong)
10/03 mgmat 780 (q51, v45)
10/04 gprep 710 (q50, v35) (this made me quite nervous)
10/04 mgmat 770 (q51, v44)

So my potential scoring range was quite large.

Let's get to today.

I scheduled my exam for 1 p.m. The only testing center here in Austria only offers tests one day a week and only on afternoons. 1 p.m. is the earliest possible time. Woke up at 7 a.m. Reviewed some wrong questions from the tests yesterday. Tried to remember some templates for AWA (yeah, that's a part of gmat, too :-D ). And at 11.45 a.m. I went by bike to the testing center. Arrived there at 12.10. Went into the wrong building at first, because the company has officies in two buildings there. But since I had enough time, I didn't get stressed. That's a really important point. If it's possible, plan with a lot of extra time.

I don't think that AWA went well. First of all, the keyboard was a qwerty. In Austria, that's unusual. We normally use qwertz ones. z and y are exchanged and so I had to pay attention to that, too. I finished my text 1 minute before time was up. Started reading my text and the first sentence didn't make any sense. So I had to rewrite it and finished that with like 1 second left. Couldn't read the rest.

I'm not sure about IR. But I think, scoring is not that tough there. And after all, it's not that important anyway.

Break time: drank orange juice and ate some chocolate. But really, you should eat and drink, whatever you like and need. If you need coffee or an energy drink, then that's, what you should drink. If you don't like chocolate, well, eat something else. Especially the second break is really important, because quant makes me tired ... and the exam has been going on for more than 2.5 hours.

So quant: besides the fact that my pen stopped working at the start of quant, there is not that much to tell. I think, the mgmat problems are way tougher than those on the real test. I was able to solve every question and I probably only did some "silly mistakes" as I always do in quant. Finished well in time. 4 minutes to discount double check the last question.

Verbal: Maybe I was looking at the timer too often. I always was a little bit below "2-minutes-per-question". But in the end, I had 2.5 minutes to solve the last question, because I had some short SC questions at the end of the exam.

So yeah, the result's a 770 (q51, v42). Don't know, why v42 is still enough to score 770. But I'll take it. ;-)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
'
Herzlichen Glückwunsch. Dies ist ein perfektes Ergebnis
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 20:23
bb wrote:
Wow - nicely done. Thank you for the debrief and staying up late to post it!
Fantastic score.

If you could name one thing that contributed the most to your score - what would it be? (hard work, materials, advice, good background knowledge, any advantages, your good looks, etc?)

Thank you again.
BB.
I think, the fact that I had a lot of time helped a lot. Despite that trip I mentioned, I had practically no other stuff to do.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:43
Congrats!770 is truly an awesome score!!
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.
Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Is the level of difficulty same as that of gmatprep?
Also,in verbal,which part according to u was the most difficult in the exam.

Thanks,
Shreeraj
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 3

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
shreerajp99 wrote:
Congrats!770 is truly an awesome score!!
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.
Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Is the level of difficulty same as that of gmatprep?
Also,in verbal,which part according to u was the most difficult in the exam.
Quant questions simply cover the same range of topics as in the OG for example. And you should stress those topics that you are not that good at. Do practise questions, see, which kind of questions you have trouble with, analyse, why you weren't able to solve it, and next time, you should be able to solve it.

I think, level of difficulty in quant is quite the same as gmatprep and lower than mgmat.

I found all parts equally difficult in verbal in the exam. As I have mentioned, initially, SC was my big problem, but I got that up to the same level as CR and RC.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

congrats! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 13:41
hey, congrats!

it is great to hear that a non-native speaker made it to score 770!
I´m in Vienna too - just started preparing. for now it doesn´t seem super hard - but haven´t seen much of it now ;-)

where will you go with that score? - did you choose where to apply?

my question is:
how long in advance did you need to schedule the test?
would you recommend the books you used? (I just bought the kaplan and was thinking about if mgmat could help me even further?)

roxy
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 11:13
Hi

Congrats for such a great score. I just wanna ask that which books did u refer for verbal part because i have a good command over quant. but i'm not able to cross 35 barrier in verbal, also suggest what all notes and study material u refer to.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 12:03
Congrats on such a great score!!

As others have requested, can you provide a listing of the books/materials you used?

Best of luck to you with your future studies. Cheers :)
Re: I guess, I can be happy now - 770 (Q51, V42)   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2012, 12:03