Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I had a very difficult time figuring out how to best

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 210

I had a very difficult time figuring out how to best [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 18:54
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:06) correct 65% (01:01) wrong based on 20 sessions
I had a very difficult time figuring out how to best approach this problem. Normally, I am initially able to read the sentence and flag/classify the grammar error. With this question, however, I had a very difficult time eliminating incorrect answer choice because I felt that "Unlike" phrase was the correct way to begin the sentence. I would appreciate the forums incite into how they best eliminated incorrect answer choices to arrive at the best choice. Thanks!

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

a. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

b. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish

c. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish

d. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

e. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

Re: "Warbler" Tough SC problem from ETS paper exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 01:18
tonebeeze wrote:
I had a very difficult time figuring out how to best approach this problem. Normally, I am initially able to read the sentence and flag/classify the grammar error. With this question, however, I had a very difficult time eliminating incorrect answer choice because I felt that "Unlike" phrase was the correct way to begin the sentence. I would appreciate the forums incite into how they best eliminated incorrect answer choices to arrive at the best choice. Thanks!

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

a. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

b. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish

c. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish

d. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

e. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.

Stumped !!!

Though I think I will go for E, due to the following reasons:
Idiom is : Unlike X,Y ... where X and Y are Nouns / Noun Phrase. ( not Preposition Phrase )

Option A - Incorrect comparison ( Comparing Most Species to Male and Female Warbler )
Option B - Incorrect comparison ( Comparing most species to Gender )
Option C - Incorrect Comparison ( Comparing Those to Male and Female Warblers)
Option D - Incorrect usage of Unlike Idiom ( Preposition Phrase )
Option E - Correct comparison and Idiom
Rewritting Option E :
unlike most species, Blue-winged warblers are of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
This correctly indicates the Idiom usage ( which is perfect )

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 1790 [0], given: 249

Re: "Warbler" Tough SC problem from ETS paper exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 01:51
Expert's post
Simply speaking, E is the only choice in which one type of warbler is compared to most other species of warbler, and the comparison is brought out by the uniqueness of that one species. In all others choices, the comparison is faulty

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 104

Re: "Warbler" Tough SC problem from ETS paper exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 05:33
Can you post the OE please? I got this one wrong.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Certified Credit Card Banking Professional
Schools: Chicago Booth, ISB
WE 1: 6 years in IT BFSI Cards application
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: "Warbler" Tough SC problem from ETS paper exam [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 12:46
Fully Blank :x

[align=]- Abhishek [/align]

Re: "Warbler" Tough SC problem from ETS paper exam   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2011, 12:46