i happened to read the tips by Gin in some forum(not sure where i read). GIN’s RC Technique
Downloaded from http://www.funnan.com/mba
. i really liked the techniques and tried to follow them. its working for me. it is too long . so i condensed it to what will suit me... so anyone struggling to improve in RC like me might need it...
pls let me know if we can add more useful points. thanks REMEMBER THE MORE YOU SUFFER BEFORE THE TEST, THE LESS YOU WILL DO SO IN THE TEST!
• Read with desire. Be the best friend of the author.
• Take short notes. Even if you would not look back at your notes, take short notes as it will make you understand the flow better.
• B4 going to the questions, quickly recap the passage in ur words. MAIN THEME, TONE
• If u do not understand any sentence or part of a sentence, there will be a question from that. So make sure you understand the context of that sentence atleast.
• Close answers – in easy passages, there wil be 2 0r 3 close answer choices. If one word is wrong, and even if 90% of the answer choice might be right, the answer choice is not correct because of the wrong word.
• If you don’t understand the author’s tone , STOP READING. UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON.WHO THINKS WHAT THEN MOVE ON.NEVER EVER READ THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT FIRST UNDERSTANDING THE POSITION OF THE AUTHOR(if he has one)
• DO NOT DISMISS a weird looking answer right away. FOCUS ON THE WHOLE SENTENCE ,GO BACK TO THE PASSAGE AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MIGHT MEAN. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DISMISS WITHOUT SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING.(This trick is also used by GMAT in CR question, it is a mean thing to do but I have seen it in many tough questions) . DONT GO AND CHOOSE AN ANSWER CHOICE THAT DOESNT REALLY MAKES SENSE JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF ONE WORD IN AN OTHERWISE POSSIBLE ANSWER
• IF YOUR ARE ASKED AN INFERENCE QUESTION ABOUT SOMETHING MENTIONED IN THE PASSAGE AND YOU ARE GIVEN A LINE,LETS SAY LINE 33=> YOU SHOULD GO AND CHECK THAT PART OF THE PASSAGE BUTTTT ALSO YOU SHOULD CHECK THE WHOLE PASSAGE AND WHEREELSE THAT THING IS MENTIONED ,WHETHER DIRECTLY MENTIONED BY THE SAME NAME OR BY ANOTHER NAME(REMEMBER MY TIP ABOVE,SOMETIMES THE PASSAGE USES DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME THING).
• - Suggest questions...are generally easily solved by going to the passage and just picking the info. But note that some ''suggests'' questions are actually inference questions. If you feel none of the answer choices makes sense in a ''passage suggests''question then think about the possibility that it is a tougher question,a hidden inference question.(apply the previous technique).
• Examples/Analogies/Interesting stuff: If the author starts to explain an issue and gives examples,uses analogy or talks about something striking!!! open your eyes, you will get a question from there!!!
• If you feel like, none of the answer makes sense
- You are not reading the question right.You are misinterpreting the question or the answer choices.
- Your intepretation of the relevant part of the passage is wrong.
- Close your eyes for 1 sc,take a deep breath and look at the question with a fresh mind. DO NOT STARE AT THE QUESTION for minutes,you wont get it, if you are looking at it from the wrong angle. DONT PANIC,there is nothing that is impossible to do on GMAT. It is just understanding what you read. You can surely crack it,just stay cool.
==> If you feel like there are too many answers
- You understood the question and passage correct but you fail to notice the minor differences among choices. FOCUS ON WORDS, COMPARE THE MEANING OF CHOICES WORD BY WORD!!!
- Everything sometimes really depends on the meaning of 1 or 2 words. When you face a dilemma between 2 choices,treat it as a SC question, focus on the differences between choices,if necessary write down the main verbs etc.
• Keep on the lookout of a question that you might get from a line while reading the same.
• Attitude: Read each gmat passages on the test as if they are given to you by Harvard or Stanford admission committee and your admission depends on your understanding and critique of these passages. Show them that you can UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ.
I need help in inference questions of RC.Basically I just understand the structure of the passage when i read it for the first time.I keep a close look to the transitive phrases and see where the author is going using these phrases.I just keep a note of all these sentence in the first read.I get to know what is there in which passage.
I am facing problems with the inference based specific questions.sometimes they ask to infer about a particular term in RC.Presently I am getting all of these questions wrong and I am not getting where to look in the passage in such type of questions.