Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I hate GMAT too

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I hate GMAT too [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 05:48
Members,

I am not a frequent clubbiest, but would like to share my GMAT experience. I gave last test in Jan got a score of 560(V42, Q28). Thought to improve and today in 2nd innings got a score of 600 (V42, Q31).

First six Qs in Quant went fine 7th question was from ‘god only knows’ kind of equality DS spent 4 odd mins on that then I guessed it and went on again 9th Q was nightmare, I can’t just guess question just like that after all these are some heavy weight questions this screwed my whole timing and I had only 7 mins to attempt 13 Ques, I did two correct and rest all just ticked.

I knew that screwed my quant hence verbal I gave with really cool head fininshed on time and got a score of 31 (my highest score ever)

World shattered around me why sudden because this time I was fully prepared for nothing less than 660. I was doing good in mocks

PowerPrep1 600
PowerPrep1 610
Kaplan 1 560
Kaplan 2 590
Kaplan 3 620
PowerPrep1 670 (49, 31)

Finished
Princeton Manual
Kaplan Gmat
Kaplan 800
OG 11 (n number of times)
+ Random questions from GMAT club (although)

I think I am really weak in algebra DS + my pacing is bad.

Guys with inspiration from other members of the club I want to give it last time asap. Pls suggest me what should be the time frame like and what material I should refer now. I know most of the questions in above mentioned books. Pls help me out …

As someone already said struggle contines…

:roll: :?: :shock:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 07:40
edited and added a little more:

I noticed that you haven't mentioned GMATPrep..do you mean PowerPrep or GMATPrep? PowerPrep is different. You should practice with GMATPrep (download for free from http://www.mba.com) for a reasonable accuracy. Your powerprep scores are in 600/660 range - and that's uncomfortably close to what you really want. You need better scores there to give some leeway (about +-30-40 points). There are people who score more in GMAT than in their practice, but don't always bank on that.

Ashu,
For anyone to even suggest a strategy, it will help if you tell us how you did your practice. That can help someone identify if there is a weakness in your approach. Just going through the motions of practice will not help, it's also important to understand how you are practicing and if it is an efficient strategy.

Part of your problems probably lies in getting nervous in the real exam (which explains the margin between practice tests and the real GMAT). For e.g. spending 4 minutes on a question is very dangerous. Would you do that in your mocks?

Tell this forum a little more on your approach and I'm sure you'll get some helpful hints.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 13:10
I was a bit confused by your post. Did you end up with 31V, or 42V? In the title you say 42V, but in the body of the message you say you ended up with 31V, your highest score ever. If you actually got 42Q, then a bit of work on timing could make a huge difference for you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 13:59
Thanks a lot necromonge for showing interest

My basic strategy was to solve problems (without any time limit) and give lot of time bound tests (PR/Kaplan/Misc), algebra and inequality (+permutations/combination/probability) were my weak areas which I thought I improved at last by solving miscellaneous problem.

I did not give much stress on time bound practice for Quant since I assumed that I can crack it and as everyone know assumption is mother of all ******.

One thing I very sure (this courage is coming from posts in the club) that it is NOT over, I will give GMAT in 30 days to hit the magic figure. Pls help me to chalk out the plan and the time frame. Also wat I prep material I should refer to.

I meant GMATPREP in my previous post

Pelihu my score was 42Q 31 V

I need to pull verbal to 35 and quant to 48 plus.

------
Struggle continues ..
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 19:57
good attitude....that's half the battle won. be prepared to long hours of sweating it out. i don't know if a month is going to be enough for you to haul a 100 point or more increase.

some tips:

1. attack the verbal forum like a demon, especially SC. make sure you can explain why each answer choice to yourself, even if you don't have the time to type out your reasoning. SC, as has been mentioned earlier provides max. 'bang for the buck'. you should be able to get to a point where you get a max. of 1 SC wrong on your tests...this will boost your raw score considerably.

2. do the GMATclub challenges....twice over if you have the time. focus on the explanations and make sure you understand why you got a problem right or wrong. if you got it right, try to find shortcuts; twist the problem a little and see if you can still solve it. if you can get a 49 on Power/GMATPrep, I don't see why you can't get close to that on the real deal.

3. make og your bible. do it cover to cover. twice if you don't get all the concepts the 1st time.

feel free to pm me if you need any specific info....
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 21:44
thank again guys,

Pls help me out to make plan of action,

What should be my prep material this time. Here it goes

OG 11th (Once again cover to cover)
CR/RC from 1000 Series
GMAT challeges (I do not have any clue about these)
Pls let me know if I can through some other way my
country (UAE) is not included in the paypal list

I am going to time each questin in Quant + while maintaing the error log. (someone put the link i think the one I have is not the rite one)

Recos by Futuristic are well noted,

Hail GMAT
  [#permalink] 17 Sep 2006, 21:44