Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Re: I have 24 hours.... [#permalink]
For timing on quant, do not be afraid to guess on a question if you are not even close after 1 or 2 minutes. I repeat, do not waste time on a question that you cannot get. If you know everything about quant, you are still bound to get those doozies, but trust in yourself to be able to get the next handful correct by alloting more time to them. Try this, as opposed to spending 4+ minutes on a question that you might get wrong and, in turn, leaving yourself no time for the questions that you could have answered correctly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
with your prep scores, I'd be disappointed if you didn't join the club. good luck and remember to breath and relax. use the AWA to relax and calm your nerves. take a break before the verbal section because you'll need time to pump yourself up and relax again (total nerve spike going into verbal).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Good luck, dude! Please, tell us your experience later.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
As you can see from the title, I scored:

760 (Q49:89% ,V44:97%) :-D

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I was very surprised by this score as I predicted that my expected score was 730 with a range of +-30. I told myself as I was waiting for the calculated score to come up that if I got below 710 I would retake, and I would think hard about retaking at 710 level. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about retaking, whew! I thought the quant questions were somewhat more difficult than GMATPrep. I also felt that the SC were a little bit easier than GMATPrep while the CR and RC were probably harder than GMATPrep.

My tips:

I definitely agree that you should ditch impossible Quant questions after 30 seconds if you know that you can't get the answer quickly. This is a great time saving strategy. It gave me more time to focus on the questions that I was borderline which would take 3+ minutes to work out.

I focused my preparation more on verbal because I felt the marginal benefit of studying quant is less than verbal. However, I work in finance and am already pretty comfortable with numbers. Also, I spent the vast majority of my study time doing official questions and CATs only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: I have 24 hours....(updated: 760) [#permalink]
Congrats! That's a great score.

But why did you get so many repeats (10-15) on the GMATPreps? Other people claim to get a lot less than that?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
What did you use for verbal study, especially CR and RC? Nice job.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Congrats!!!

Can you now post your details of your exercise? When did you start and what did you use to prepare for Quant and Verbal etc etc...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
djhouse81 wrote:
For timing on quant, do not be afraid to guess on a question if you are not even close after 1 or 2 minutes. I repeat, do not waste time on a question that you cannot get. If you know everything about quant, you are still bound to get those doozies, but trust in yourself to be able to get the next handful correct by alloting more time to them. Try this, as opposed to spending 4+ minutes on a question that you might get wrong and, in turn, leaving yourself no time for the questions that you could have answered correctly.

This is great advice...I failed to follow it during the practice tests, but I did during the real test. The real test was my highest score of all of the practice CATs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Whatever djhouse81 wrote really impress me, thanks for such a wonderful advice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
is this mel from e46?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
05rose wrote:
Whatever djhouse81 wrote really impress me, thanks for such a wonderful advice.

Just some advice that I received from another GMAT Clubber. Glad I/WE could help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I haven't used the guessing method on the tough quant questions yet, but my question is (may be stupid), do you at least make an educated guess? I remember some silly Kaplan techniques about guessing, one of which was "most of the problem solving answers are either D or E", so I'm wondering how you can guess effectively.

Also, do they let you review the questions/answers at the end of the test? I'm wondering if you can fnd out how many guess were actually right lol.

Also...CONGRATS on an amazing score!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Great job!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
is this mel from e46?

No...I'm guessing that's a cubicle/office # where you work? I have noticed your handle from AnalystForum though, I'm personally debating studying for L3, but I don't have much gas left in the tank.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Tangaroo wrote:
I haven't used the guessing method on the tough quant questions yet, but my question is (may be stupid), do you at least make an educated guess? I remember some silly Kaplan techniques about guessing, one of which was "most of the problem solving answers are either D or E", so I'm wondering how you can guess effectively.

Also, do they let you review the questions/answers at the end of the test? I'm wondering if you can fnd out how many guess were actually right lol.

Also...CONGRATS on an amazing score!! :-D

I think most of my guesses were somewhat educated, although probably a couple were outright guesses, so I most likely got >20% of them right. I didn't use any guessing strategy except that really tough DS questions are more likely to be A,B or D than C or E.

You cannot review questions at the end.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
chineseburned wrote:

But why did you get so many repeats (10-15) on the GMATPreps? Other people claim to get a lot less than that?

I got about this many total repeats on reinstalls.

And I agree with not wasting time on impossible questions. It's much more productive to make sure you get the medium ones 100% right then giving yourself a 20% chance on an very hard question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
chineseburned wrote:

I got about this many total repeats on reinstalls.

And I agree with not wasting time on impossible questions. It's much more productive to make sure you get the medium ones 100% right then giving yourself a 20% chance on an very hard question

You got that many total repeats every time you re-took a GMATPrep CAT? Or did the number progressively increased as you kept re-taking?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts