Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have a confusion in modifiers : the use of the -ing form

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I have a confusion in modifiers : the use of the -ing form [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 15:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I have a confusion in modifiers :
the use of the -ing form modifier COMPARED to the "that" form modifier

Look at the below question

Among lower- paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

Here what is preffered --> That imposes OR imposing

Also how different the meaninig of the above SC will become if there were a comma (,) just before imposing

In that case will imposing will be modifying 'Insurance Plans' OR will it be the modifier for the complete phrase "union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower- end insurance plans "
I am gettinig confused in this , please help me out.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: Need a smalll clarification in this SC [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 04:15
The following link has a pretty good explanation of modifiers, etc. Take a read -

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post8323.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Need a smalll clarification in this SC [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:51
(D)

(A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend
(B) imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending
(C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend
(D) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending
(E) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

Raptor

Re: Need a smalll clarification in this SC   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2011, 03:51