Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have a doubt in the following sentence correction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 05-21-2012
WE: Research (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
I have a doubt in the following sentence correction [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 16:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:28) correct 18% (00:00) wrong based on 11 sessions
I have a doubt in the following sentence correction question:

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations remember him as the architect of the Transamerica Tower, the Malibu campus of Pepperdine University, and the city of Irvine.

a. including those for the 1942 film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations
b. including those for the 1942 film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations will

Haven't included other options as errors in those are easily identifiable. The official answer is b but I don't understand what's wrong with a.

Consider this example,

Although Sir Isaac Newton first gained worldwide recognition for inventing Calculus, future generations remember him as the propounder of the laws of the motion.

In this sentence, "future generations" could refer to present generation or to any generation that existed after Newton's death. Why is 'will' required?

Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC MGMAT Question [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:44
I'm assuming you've framed this sentence on your own, or copied from a non-GMAT source :

Although Sir Isaac Newton first gained worldwide recognition for inventing Calculus, future generations remember him as the propounder of the laws of the motion.

Then again, your claim is - In this sentence, "future generations" could refer to present generation or to any generation that existed after Newton's death.

Please explain why you think so ?

Try to think like this -> "Future Generations" refers to any generation(s) that exists after the statement is spoken.

As per GMAT rules, the present tense here is indeed wrong.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC MGMAT Question [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 23:51
yash23 wrote:
I have a doubt in the following sentence correction question:

Although William Pereira first gained national recognition for his movie set designs, including those for the film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations remember him as the architect of the Transamerica Tower, the Malibu campus of Pepperdine University, and the city of Irvine.

a. including those for the 1942 film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations
b. including those for the 1942 film "Reap the Wild Wind", future generations will

Haven't included other options as errors in those are easily identifiable. The official answer is b but I don't understand what's wrong with a.

Consider this example,

In this sentence, "future generations" could refer to present generation or to any generation that existed after Newton's death. Why is 'will' required?

Thanks.

for future generation we will use future tense

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 22

Re: SC MGMAT Question [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 01:01
B should be the answer because future generations are referred to the generations after the statement was delivered.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC MGMAT Question [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 17:49
Abhii46 wrote:
B should be the answer because future generations are referred to the generations after the statement was delivered.

This,

which is why the "will" is needed after "future generations."
Re: SC MGMAT Question   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2012, 17:49