Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have a technical question in grammar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

I have a technical question in grammar [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 23:45
Here is the sentence:

In 1813, the Sixth Coalition attacked Napoleon and the First French Empire in the Battle of Leipzig, the largest conflict in the Napoleonic Wars

The sentence above is perfectly correct and there is nothing that needs to be corrected. My question is regarding the prepositional phrase "in the Battle of Leipzig." In order to avoid any confusions in the future, how can we be certain that this phrase is modifying "attacked" and not the "First French Empire"? Cause the prepositional phrase and adjectival phrase modify the nouns that directly preceed it, whereas the adverbial phrase do not necessarily have to be placed right next to the verbs that it modifies. So this phrase could be either an adjectival phrase or an adverbial phrase. How can we determine which one it belongs to since it seems to fit really well for both of them? I struggled trying to figure this out when I came across this sentence in a sentence correction problem.

Note: When I say that this phrase can fit really well as an adjectival phrase, I mean structure-wise, not logically, but you see, these are the kind of things that will be running in your mind when you face such a question in SC. One may look at it as an adjectival phrase and then decides to eliminate it, not realizing that this is rather an adverbial phrase, which makes it perfectly correct. How can you differentiate such a puzzle?
thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: I have a technical question in grammar [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 09:59
hmmm
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: I have a technical question in grammar [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 10:12
i have to say, this is the best answer I ever got from gmatclub...heheheheh.....just what I was looking for...hehehe.....
Re: I have a technical question in grammar   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2008, 10:12