Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618656 [152]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [27]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [15]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: If ⊙ denotes a mathematical operation, does x⊙y = y⊙x for all x and y? [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) For all x and y, x⊙y=2(x2+y2)

Here X and Y are interchangeable and gives the same value. Hence sufficient.

(2) For all y, 0⊙y=2y2

here y⊙0=0 , the values are not equal if y has values other than 0. Hence insufficient.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [4]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
If ⊙ denotes a mathematical operation, does x⊙y = y⊙x for all x and y? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

1) For all x and y, \(x⊙y = 2(x^2 + y^2)\) is equal to \(y⊙x = 2(y^2 + x^2)\); SUFFICIENT.

2) If \(x⊙y = 2(x^2+y^2)\) for all x and y, then \( 0⊙y = 2y^2\) for all y and x⊙y = y⊙x for all x and y. However, if \(x⊙ y = 2(x^3 + y^2)\) for all x and y, then \(0⊙y = 2y^2\) for all y, but\( 1⊙2 = 2(1^3) + 2(2^2) = 10\) and \(2⊙1 \\
= 2(2^3) + 2(1^2) = 18; \)NOT sufficient.

The correct answer is A;
statement 1 alone is sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
If ⊙ denotes a mathematical operation, does x⊙y = y⊙x for all x and y? [#permalink]
Kudos
chetan2u VeritasKarishma GMATBusters

For statement 2, isn't this logic sufficient that the expression only holds true when one of the variables (be it x or y) is 0 whereas the questions asks if it is true for all values of x and y ?

On a related note, is the expression in statement 2 even interchangeable ? I mean the expression hold strictly when x is 0 and y is a variable. Since one of the values is fixed, doesn't that mean that the expression can't be interchanged (i.e x for y and y for as can be done in Statement 1).

Will appreciate some comments to improve my logic here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
OG answer is wrong, answer is D. Welcome anyone proves me otherwise.

The 2nd statement is SUFFICIENT. If 0⊙y=2y^2 for all y. That means ⊙ cannot be multiple, divide or minus. ⊙ can only me addition.

Therefore back to the statement x⊙y equal to y⊙x for all x and y.

Statement 1 is clear so I won't address it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: If ⊙ denotes a mathematical operation, does x⊙y = y⊙x for all x and y? [#permalink]
Appreciate if someone can clarify why the following does not work:

For the second statement "0*y = 2y^2"
I believe it is possible to identify that * is addition operator:
it cannot be multiplier, ie, for example pick y=100, RHS: 0*y=0, LHS: 2(100)^2 - RHS!=LHS, the relationship does not hold, hence multiplier cannot be the operator. with similar logic, it cannot be divider.
It cannot be minus either, as GMAT does not test imaginary number.
Therefore * can only be addition, and hence it is sufficient to conclude x+y = y+x

Appreciate any insight.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
faat99 wrote:
Appreciate if someone can clarify why the following does not work:

For the second statement "0*y = 2y^2"
I believe it is possible to identify that * is addition operator:
it cannot be multiplier, ie, for example pick y=100, RHS: 0*y=0, LHS: 2(100)^2 - RHS!=LHS, the relationship does not hold, hence multiplier cannot be the operator. with similar logic, it cannot be divider.
It cannot be minus either, as GMAT does not test imaginary number.
Therefore * can only be addition, and hence it is sufficient to conclude x+y = y+x

Appreciate any insight.

⊙ isn't restricted to addition/subtraction/multiplication/division -- it's a function.

Since statement 2 doesn't tell us anything about x, we can't conclude that the operation is symmetrical for all x and y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I don't think I understand the interchangeability issue that most people raise here. . .

Would it be enough to say S1 tells us something about all x and y while S2 tells us only about all y YET we are required to determine if the operation applies to all x and y. Therefore S2 is insufficient?

I'm confused. . .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM