Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 20:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while tackling critical reasoning questions. I knock off the 3 options that are "fluff" and focus on the 2 that relate to the question. However, it is after that I have a problem. I am finding it difficult to differentitate the two. Both are equally likely to be the answer and more often than not I get them wrong.

Please can some help with a technique on how to zero in on one option out of two?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: The 3+2 rule [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 21:24
Please can any expert reply on this
I have the same problem too
I struggle alavvsy betveen the last 2 ansvvers
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 168

Kudos [?]: 119 [5] , given: 4

Re: The 3+2 rule [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ivinayak wrote:
I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while tackling critical reasoning questions. I knock off the 3 options that are "fluff" and focus on the 2 that relate to the question. However, it is after that I have a problem. I am finding it difficult to differentitate the two. Both are equally likely to be the answer and more often than not I get them wrong.

Please can some help with a technique on how to zero in on one option out of two?

Thanks

Fantastic question – this is exactly what most of my students struggle with on CR.

I also agree that at least most (though certainly not all!) CR questions have 3 choices that can more easily be eliminated than the rest, leaving us with one correct answer, and of course, the dreaded "most convincing wrong answer"! So, what is one to do??

I have two main pieces of advice.

I) Stay focussed on moving from Wrong to Right. Now, I don't mean that CR must be strictly a process of elimination on every problem, the way SC is. But generally speaking, it is easier to find a flaw in the wrong answer than it is to fully "justify" the right answer. It's a little counterintuitive, but this problem actually arises because we're all very good at justifying arguments to ourselves. But then we end up mounting a reasonable justification for both of the remaining answers!

Don't let yourself go in circles like that. Focus on the remaining choices with a skeptical eye. Look for the one that has the bigger flaw. That's always going to be easier than trying to argue for both sides and then deciding.

II) Learn focussed techniques for each different question type. You've posed such a great question that I think I will write up a much longer post and elaborate on both of my points here. But for now, let me give you just one example of point (II). Say you're trying to Find the Assumption and you are left with two possible answer choices. Think about what role an assumption should play – it should be necessary to make the argument work! So, if you take the opposite or negation of the assumption it should destroy the argument!

For example,

All kids like ice cream, therefore Joey likes ice cream.

I know, not a great argument, but hang with my because I'm making a point :wink: . We're trying to conclude that "Joey likes ice cream" using only the premise that "all kids like ice cream". Of course there's a major Assumption here – we have to assume that "Joey is a kid".

Now, take the negation of that assumption: "Joey is not a kid." What happens to our argument? We have no argument! It's been totally invalidated.

So, if you're down to two choices on a Find the Assumption question you can always put them through the Negation Test. Take the opposite of each choice, and the opposite of the correct choice should severely damage the argument.

As I said, you've got to develop these little "outs" for every different CR question type. I'll try to post a more detailed response sometime tomorrow that outlines some of those other techniques!

Best,
Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: The 3+2 rule [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
Brilliant! thanks very much, the assumption negation technique works!
VP
VP
Followers: 186

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 10:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: I have found moderate success with the 3+2 rule while   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 10:11