Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have found myself going through the MGMAT SC book and kind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I have found myself going through the MGMAT SC book and kind [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 02:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I have found myself going through the MGMAT SC book and kind of zoning out going through each chapter trying to memorize grammar rules and parts of speech. How did you guys approach SC improvement? I can kind of see skimming through the SC book, practicing my face off in the official guides, and then going through the SC book again in a bit more detail on the areas I did poorly in. Just wanted to see people's strategy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 05:59
Hi, obviously there can be different strategies but I always followed the simple one. "Just do it the way its mentioned in the MGMAT SC book". & i.e go through the chapters, solve the end chapter problems & after the end of General section, go through the official guide questions. Do the same for the advanced section. Now if you find the difficulty in understanding the strategies or question types, just use this forum or MGMAT forum. You would find a lot of OG questions that are discussed in forums with a lot of interesting discussions. Those discussions helped me a lot during my study time. Also, "practice" is the key. While going through the problems, try to read the mind of the test maker. Lets ask yourself that you would not fall in the trap. Smart thinking is good thinking. :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 10

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 16:12
Expert's post
Yes, our SC guide can be a little overwhelming, especially on the first go-through. I recommend using it the way it is used in our course--focus on one chapter at a time, and follow up with the relevant In-Actions and OG problems. The idea is to train yourself to spot each issue when you see it in a problem, and to do that, you need to have seen each issue in many variations. If you feel like skimming, I'd suggest that you read enough of each chapter to make sure you understand the basic issue before doing the practice problems. Tjhen you can go back after you've had some OG experience, and read the rest more carefully to fine-tune your experience.

Some portions aren't really meant to be read at all. Chapter 9 (Idioms) is just a long list of words that go with other words. The best way to handle this chapter is to look it over a little bit at a time, asking yourself for each idiom "Does this seem natural to me?" The idioms that surprise you can go on flash cards. You can also do some OG practice here and see which idioms catch you. There are certainly some issues ("such as" vs. "like") that come up more often than others, and sometimes you remember these things best when you have been burned on more than one problem.

After you've been through most or all of the topics, you want to be sure to do some practice with "random" problems. After all, on the real test, the problems won't be labeled as "Modifiers" or "Subject-Verb Agreement." However, this will go much better when you have a handle on the individual issues.

Remember that when you are going through problems, you should spend more time reviewing than you spend doing new problems (especially in SC, which goes so fast). One method that my students have had success with is to go through each problem THOROUGHLY, whether you got it right or wrong, and justify why each answer choice is right or wrong. Try to identify all the issues you can. If there are 3 things wrong with answer choice B, write them all down. Do this before you've even checked the answers. Then, when you do check, make sure that the official answer &/or explanation match your reasoning. If not, go back and study some more, or come up with a list of specific questions for your instructor or for the forum.

I hope this helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: SC   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2011, 16:12