Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have just attempted to compile a concept of an Exception

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 330 [4] , given: 13

I have just attempted to compile a concept of an Exception [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I have just attempted to compile a concept of an Exception to a rule; hope it benefits all

thanks to numerous posters, whose creative queries pushed Ron & Stacy @ Manhattan to give clarity on the 'exception' to the rule of "',which"

To sum it all up!!

First, the basic concept . .
• Noun Modifiers modify WHO DID IT!
• Noun modifiers are often introduced by relative pronouns.
• Relative Pronouns such as which, that, who, whom, whose, where, when --> turn 'clauses' they attach to into relative / subordinate clauses
• Noun modifiers, notably, which + comma AND that without comma by definition, have to touch the noun they modify

EXCEPTION TO COMMA + WHICH RULE
The best approach here is to think of "which" as a special modifier that attaches even more strongly to the noun than other modifiers. As a result, unlike most modifiers, "which” isn’t as easy to separate from its noun by an intervening modifier? In ALMOST ALL cases, you are safe to eliminate any answer where the "which" doesn't refer to the word immediately preceding it regardless of whatever else is going on.

Exception. . .
when nouns that are modified by prepositional phrases (Preposition = of, above) ---> If, in “X preposition Y” construction ,”Y” can GRAMMATICALLY be the referent of “, which” then pick Y, else pick “X” (noun) or “X preposition Y” (noun phrase)

Examples . . .
1) The picture of my brothers, which was taken last year in Mexico, is one of my favorites
- Which cannot refer to brother, because brother needs “who”, so which can only refer to Picture in this case.

2) The picture above my fireplace, which was taken last year in Mexico , is my favorite
- Fireplace could not have been taken

3) Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written . . .

Pictorially speaking. . .
See attached image. . .

Summary. . .
- DO NOT extend this pattern to prepositional phrases in which the object-of-preposition COULD ACTUALLY BE the antecedent of "which” i.e. in “X preposition Y”, Y could be antecedent of “which”
- Also, comma + which refers "noun immediately preceding it" OR at best can refer to “noun that prepositional phrase modifies” OR “noun phrase as a whole - represented by X preposition Y”. But it can never refer back to "whole clause" . . .

Importance of context . . .
- If the pronoun that you have can refer to the preceding noun and also to the noun that the prepositional phrase modifies, then you have to select depending on the context
Corrections in the second, third, and fourth printings, however, were made only to the original set of plates, which was used for reprinting through 1941 and then melted down”
Solution: In the above worthy nouns are ‘plates’ (immediately preceding “, which”) and ‘set’. As we have ‘was’ in un-underlined portion ‘,which’ would refer to set /b] and not [b]plates

Next, the rule generalized . .
The whole of above discussion, (i think so) can be extend to other relative pronouns clauses / noun modifiers too. . such as "who"

Example: "Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several . . "

Now, in the above sentence; 'who', a relative pronoun, after comma - as a general rule - should modify noun preceding it. but because the noun theater is a prepositional phrase and because who can only modify people and in this case who modifies artists. . . . this logic is similar to what we just applied in above examples; ", which" cannot refer to brothers (as which modifies 'things') and so on. .

(pls note: the above example is from OG, and in that problem the "who" was a wrong choice as we needed to modify "Stella Adler" and as we rightly see above 'who was modifying 'artists')

Target760
Attachments

pic.jpg
pic.jpg [ 8.88 KiB | Viewed 1627 times ]

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Last edited by Target760 on 29 Mar 2011, 00:38, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Exception to COMMA + WHICH RULE [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 23:45
"3) Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written . . . "

I think this is ok because of the plural verb "were"

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Re: Exception to COMMA + WHICH RULE [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 00:15
gmat1220 wrote:
"3) Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written . . . "

yes,'which' cannot refer to people (only 'who' can refer to people). thus, in this case ',which' reightly refers to next available choice i.e. 'letters' in the prepositional phares 'letters to susan . . '

correct?

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Re: Exception to COMMA + WHICH RULE [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 00:46
Target760 wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:

yes,'which' cannot refer to people (only 'who' can refer to people). thus, in this case ',which' rightly refers to next available choice i.e. 'letters' in the prepositional phrase 'letters to Susan . . '

correct?

Hi.

I have added one more para in above post title "importance of context" . . see if it makes sense?

Target760

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Exception to COMMA + WHICH RULE [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:25
That looks perfect. Yes it's about common sense as well. :-)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exception to COMMA + WHICH RULE [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:42
Thank you! That was I was looking for.

Kudos for you! 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: I have just attempted to compile a concept of an Exception [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 09:55
Props for this list, the more things we can get covering these small details the better
Re: I have just attempted to compile a concept of an Exception   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2012, 09:55