Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have no idea where I stand

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

I have no idea where I stand [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 19:22
I am looking to get my MBA and while I have always been an excellent student I don't have the time to work on getting a 700. I like most of the readers here would love to go to a top 10 school, I just don't think that is realistic for me at this point (financially and time wise). I was interested in getting my masters before I graduated from undergrad but decided to get some work experience first.
In September a project that I had been working on came to an end. I decided to go and get an MBA and immediately started studying for the GMAT, which I took in the beginning of November. I hadn;t studying for that long but the last practice test I had scored a 580. It wasn't what I wanted but I thought it wasn't that bad for a month of studying. I took the GMAT and had a horrible experience. The computer malfunctioned at the end of the test and they told me that I would have to retake it if I was unsatisfied with my final score. (500 Q36 V23 AWA 5) Those score reports went out and my heart broke.
I have my new test scheduled for 12/10/09, the soonest I could get in. What is most frustrating about this whole experience is that my original plan was to decide on schools once I received my final scores. Now that I have to retake the test the application deadlines are too close for my original plan. I have to have a short list now and work on the applications so when the test date comes everything is done and waiting for the final piece. Since most of the help I have found is based on a score of 700 or the ability to postpone until next school year I need help determining what are some good viable options for myself and my interests. I need to know which schools are realistic for me so that I don't waste more of my time and money planing on something that doesn't end up happening.

Run down of who I am:
Born and raised in Arizona. Moved to New York for college.

College: Parsons School of Design (a division of The New School) New York, New York (for those of you who do not know what Parsons is, it is a very well respected school within design circles)
Degree: BBA in Design and Management with a concentration in Product Development and Communication Design
GPA: 3.4
Studied Abroad: in Paris, France 1 year
Graduated: 4 years in 2007

Work Experience: 3 years ranging in positions
2- years working in consulting for a private company
14 months working as a assistant project manager at a subsidary of Omnicom in the Innovation Lab
Currently I am working on more consulting projects

Future:
I enjoy design and believe that it is an integral part in business whether that means designing a brand or redesigning a business model the process for me is all about being creative and using that skill to build a better business.

Schools that interested me:
Stanford- for the d school, also near a lot of companies that are in the field that interests me
MIT, Carnegie Mellon- because their programs and schools are based a lot in design and engineering something that I think would be better given my background.
ASU- because financially it makes a lot of sense and they do have a design school that I may be able to take a few classes in
CSU, UCLA- in LA which is where a lot of my consulting projects are based and they are very good schools.
NYU, Baurch, Forham, Columbia- because they are in NY where I currently live.

Scores:
Expect (550-600)
Would Like (620-650)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I have no idea where I stand [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 20:19
savannahe,

Assuming your profile and a 580 to 650 GMAT, I would Stanford, MIT, Columbia, UCLA, and NYU are not realistic for you. Your design background is interesting but I didn't see much about leadership at or outside of work, which the top schools will expect. You may have a "reach" chance at CMU. ASU, CSU, Baruch, and Fordham should all be doable for you.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: I have no idea where I stand [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 20:55
Thank you. I appreciate your honesty.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User