Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have picked up all these questions from allensoybean's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
I have picked up all these questions from allensoybean's [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 04:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:05) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
( I have picked up all these questions from allensoybean's post on Nov26 2007 ) .

I got all of these wrong in my first attempt, probably as I did not fully understood the concept of ellipsis... Can you help me .. Pls refrain from just mentioning the answers. Please support your answer with reasoning.

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.
(A) those that are against a
(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
(D) preventing those against a
(E) it is to prevent those against a

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
a) as present as the weather, and as much discussed
b) present like the weather was and it was also discussed as much
c) as present and was discussed as the weather was
d) so present as to be discussed like the weather
e) present and discussed as often as the weather was
Director
Director

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 19:54
No answers as yet... :(

GMATCLUB need help...

Im sure there are a few of you here who can help...
Director
Director

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 21:05
Thanks clubbzang... You have a few answers correct here .. Not all (1,3 are correct )

Could you please explain the principle.. for e.g.

1) why did u select option e in Q 1

2) why did u select option c in Q 3
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
I believe it's E, E, B and A

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

In this question, you are comparing the qualities of two sets of people, so the usage is :

there were people who were more wealthier than he < was wealthier>. "was wealthier" can be hidden, if you like. Now, you look at other reasons for strikings some of the choices out. A is wrong because of the wrong comparison. B and C unnecessarily use "had been". In D "more wealthy" is a wrong usage. So, E is the right choice.

It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.
(B) those against a
(C) it is against a

parallel construction around "as"

so only C and E remain. only E compares "crimes" against "crimes".

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

only A,B and C remain because of proper usage. B compares simple present against simple past. Hence B is the right answer.

Baseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
e) present and discussed as often as the weather was[/quote]

A is right; right comparison.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
here is my take on these: E, B, B, A

E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he (was)

(B) those against a (parallelism ..crimes against poverty ...as those against....)
(C) it is against a

rainmaker

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
bhatiagp wrote:
( I have picked up all these questions from allensoybean's post on Nov26 2007 ) .

I got all of these wrong in my first attempt, probably as I did not fully understood the concept of ellipsis... Can you help me .. Pls refrain from just mentioning the answers. Please support your answer with reasoning.

Him is an object pronoun. since we are comparing with people, we need "he" . "he was" is fine too, but then its wordy compared to only "he"

IMO "thrust" doesn't introduce any error.

(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
for parallelism

I think discussed baseball was disucssed as weather makes strange comparison.
So...as is generally used when first clause is negative.
Director
Director

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 00:31
Thanks a lot. The OA is E E B A

In question 2) why is B better than C

Incase any of you could post some more questions on this topic for practice it would be great .

Havent come across many questions on ellipsis , though i understand GMAC tests this concept in many of its SC

+1 to all of you for ur help..
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 10

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 10:03
bhatiagp wrote:

(B) those against a
(C) it is against a

Can you point to the ellipsis portion in this Sc:

(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
Director
Director

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 00:20
goalsnr wrote:
bhatiagp wrote:

(B) those against a
(C) it is against a

The ellipsis portion here is It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as it is to prevent those that are against a person.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 10

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 15:09
bhatiagp wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
bhatiagp wrote:

(B) those against a
(C) it is against a

The ellipsis portion here is It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as it is to prevent those that are against a person.

But Ellipsis refers to a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text.
In this case we are not eliminating words.
Director
Director

Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 04:14
I agree with you goalsnr..

BTW .. Can anyone explain why we use the verb did ( to do) over verb had (to have)
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain .. [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 07:18
bhatiagp wrote:
I agree with you goalsnr..

BTW .. Can anyone explain why we use the verb did ( to do) over verb had (to have)

They expect, their parents "expected" => "did" (expect)
Re: SC Questions on Ellipsis.. Imp Principle.. Please explain ..   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2008, 07:18