Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 19:32
I got 13 wrong last week and got a 38, got 13 wrong this week and got a 35. When I started studying a year ago I started with a 35!!! Two weeks ago I got a 45 on a Manhattan GMAT verbal. What is the deal here??? I just simply do not understand how to stay consistently high on GMAT verbal. Of course I understand the level of difficulty impacts the scoring, but how many are you high verbal scorers getting wrong???? I've studied verbal over and over again for a year, how can I get a 40 - 42 verbal!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 19:35
I am in the same boat. This is the question I want to ask as well.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 19:48
I just don't know what to do. GMAT is in 2 weeks, and verbal seems like a absolute crap shoot. How are people consistently scoring high on verbal!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 21:03
Quote:
Of course I understand the level of difficulty impacts the scoring, but how many are you high verbal scorers getting wrong???

Even I had the same question. We cannot get the answer from those who are consistent because they cannot understand our position. This is what I found after some analysis.
1) Concentration plays a big role. If you are fresh, you will get good score.
2) Experimentation. If you try something new, your score tends to swing.
3) There are also swings based on question type. Like I was not good with inference questions. Hence, questions like those tend to affect my score.

Finally, the only strategy is found is to devise a very concrete plan and stick to it (like a machine, no matter what the consequences are). It helps me to get rid of pressure and will make you (at least) feel consistent.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 21:51
I am definitely in the same boat as you guys. During an intense 3 month study schedule (roughly 20-30 hours a week) I got anywhere from 40-47 in verbal which I thought was great but was also surprised to see the wide swings (for example I would get a 40 on one GMAT prep one week and get a 46 or 47 the next and then back to a 40 the following week).

And guess what - I took the actual GMAT today and got only a 36 in verbal. I wanted to shoot myself! IMHO the actual GMAT verbal is much harder than the GMATPrep. The CRs are much more confusing (sometimes you feel the right answer could be one of 3) and I had close to 100% hit rate on those in practice and even the SC seems like it's testing other concepts than what I prepared for. Was very humbled by this tough experience today so we're all in the same boat.

If anyone can share some golden advice on how to improve and keep consistency, I am sure everyone here will be ever so grateful
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 05:14
I concur on verbal. I got the same verbal score on practice I was getting after a year of studying.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 07:27
My GMAT prep score swung wildly, and did not always make sense. At one point GMAT prep gave me a 42v even though I only got 2 or 3 wrong!

As to improvement with study, my CR and RC have always been good, but I was able to substantially improve my SC over about 2 months of intense work. My verbal average went from the low 40s to the mid 40s (with a 46V on the actual gmat).

One important thing to note: the verbal questions on gmat prep are the only questions that are similar to the gmat! Those on m-gmat and others do not match the feel of real gmat verbal questions.
Re: I just don't understand GMATPrep Verbal   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2008, 07:27