Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just Failed the GMAT - 400

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 15:43
All I wanted was 550, instead I got owned by the GMAT. I studied for about a 2 months and used OG and my test results indicated 500 - 550. During the test, I was thinking, this ain't bad, look at me ma, this kid is going to make it. Well, I ended up having 10 questions left for quant with about 5 minutes, which I ended up rushing and just randomly entered scores for the last 10. As soon as I got down to 5 minutes left, I wasn't focused and realized I had to guess. For the verbal, the same thing happened. I was like, this ain't bad but again, the last 6 minutes, I guess at the last 8 questions due to time constraint.

I was totally shocked at my score. I can't be this stupid. I think had I not guessed the last 10 for both math and verbal, maybe my score would have been a hundred points higher. I was pretty relaxed taking the test and the test center didn't really seem to be an issue. I also noticed I got some more difficult questions throughout the test which I thought, indicated I was doing all right. I ended up getting three reading passages, two of which were just unbearable to read and that probable effected my overall score as well.

All in all, this test is beatable if, you can learn to answer the questions timely so that you don't wind up having to guess the last 10 questions of each section like I did. I'm going to go back to OG and finish the second half of each section, which I didn't complete during my studying. Also, I'm going to practice more timed test and NOT leisurely take the test and pause on some of the questions that were more difficult.

Man was I embarrassed afterwards waiting to get the printout from the guy. Hope this helps to some and I will report to you guys after my second attempt in a month
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 16:06
I had a similar experience. What are you going to do differently to prepare for your 2nd attempt?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 16:36
That is good that you admitted that you got your ass kicked. Put more effort into it this time so you can do the kicking.

Why settle for 550? go for 750.
Intern
Intern

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 17:31
ryan987 wrote:
I had a similar experience. What are you going to do differently to prepare for your 2nd attempt?

That is a very good question. Before the test today, I said to myself, I could really use another month to assure myself a decent score. I think this month, I'm going to finish the second half in OG in problem solving, work on Data sufficiency questions, I didn't even do one since I didn't have time. I'm going to do all the verbal questions again.

After that, I'm going to sign up for gmat club tests, take 3-4 gmatprep tests, and maybe take a few Manhattans tests. Also, one thing to point out when I take these tests, I'm going to ACT as if it was a real test and not pause any questions, not drink and eat lightly while taking the tests. This way, I can really simulate a live test; something I didn't do before.

Even after all of this, maybe my score will go up only a 100 which would still put me at 500 maybe 550. I don't have 3-4 months of studying round the clock. I only have month maybe 5 weeks at the most.

If there are other studying methodologies to improve, I'm all ears.
Intern
Intern

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 17:36
gmatnub wrote:
That is good that you admitted that you got your ass kicked. Put more effort into it this time so you can do the kicking.

Why settle for 550? go for 750.

I would die to have a 620 or more score but realistically, I know my limits. I ain't no Harvard grad and I'm not a brilliant student. I'm your average joe schmo trying to make it through life.

Also, as a I mentioned earlier, I don't have another 3-4 months of studying. I have at most, 5 weeks of studying, probable 4 though. I studied enough to be able to get 500 and I failed. I'm going to put the effort these next 4 weeks and we'll see what happens.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 23:15
Sounds like pacing really did you in. Taking more timed full length tests will definitely help with your stamina and concentration. Since you only have 5 weeks, I'd suggest spending the first 2-3 weeks working on problems in the OG11 to strengthen basic concepts, with a few practice CATs here and there. Then with 2 weeks remaining just focus on taking a lot of practice CATs so you know exactly what to expect on test day.

What was your Q/V split?

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 10:50
YihWei wrote:
Sounds like pacing really did you in. Taking more timed full length tests will definitely help with your stamina and concentration. Since you only have 5 weeks, I'd suggest spending the first 2-3 weeks working on problems in the OG11 to strengthen basic concepts, with a few practice CATs here and there. Then with 2 weeks remaining just focus on taking a lot of practice CATs so you know exactly what to expect on test day.

What was your Q/V split?

With your case, I would try to focus on practising too (with GMATPrep, etc.). Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 09:06
YihWei wrote:

What was your Q/V split?

Not good. Low 20's :oops:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 13:21
Part of the problem might have been that you distracted yourself with thoughts on how well you felt it was going. Stay focused on solving problems. You will definitely waste less time that way.
Re: I just Failed the GMAT - 400   [#permalink] 26 May 2008, 13:21