Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just finished going over the RC book. Most of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
I just finished going over the RC book. Most of the [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:13
I just finished going over the RC book. Most of the techniques the book went over seems to be "practice only" since they dont suggest writing things down during the test (except maybe really short summaries). Any techniques people here use a lot and found the most helpful during a test?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:20
I used to write notes during RC earlier, probably following Kaplan's advice to do so. My Verbal score was in 31-33 range these days. Later on, I tried to practice more RC and soon RC became my favourite part of GMAT instead of most disliked s it was earlier.

I stopped using any tricks and techniques for RC, instead I practced untill I got to level where I can read any passage under 3-3.5 minutes. It is much easier and you don't need any kind of techniques then.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:27
Pathfinder wrote:
I used to write notes during RC earlier, probably following Kaplan's advice to do so. My Verbal score was in 31-33 range these days. Later on, I tried to practice more RC and soon RC became my favourite part of GMAT instead of most disliked s it was earlier.

I stopped using any tricks and techniques for RC, instead I practced untill I got to level where I can read any passage under 3-3.5 minutes. It is much easier and you don't need any kind of techniques then.

When you go into the passage do you read it thoroughly then spend very little time going back to the passage to answer questions or total reading time is 3-3.5 minutes and you glance over the passage first then go back to answer questions?

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:35
I usually read it for 3 to 3:30 thorughly and then answer the questions. Of course, I go back to passage from time to time, especially when there is some question that address something specific into the passage.

But skimming of a passage - no, I've found this tecnique extremely uncomfortable for me. It could help for some other tests, but im GMAT, and especially LSAT, passages are brutal. They have mid-pasus that is real brain fryer. Twisted upside-down, you often cannot catch what is the cause and what is the consequence. I really haven't found skimming helpful - quite opposite.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Current Student

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 05:48
Pathfinder wrote:
I usually read it for 3 to 3:30 thorughly and then answer the questions. Of course, I go back to passage from time to time, especially when there is some question that address something specific into the passage.

But skimming of a passage - no, I've found this tecnique extremely uncomfortable for me. It could help for some other tests, but im GMAT, and especially LSAT, passages are brutal. They have mid-pasus that is real brain fryer. Twisted upside-down, you often cannot catch what is the cause and what is the consequence. I really haven't found skimming helpful - quite opposite.

i see what you are saying. Before reading the guide i was also reading the passage thoroughly taking little notes and try to solve the questions.... not that good obviously. Do you use some of their elimination techniques like the scoring system or whatnot?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 06:30
I agree with Path...I tried skimming technique and I found it un-workable for me. I too practiced reading the whole passage fast..like 2 minutes...making mental note of relevant info and position, and areas that have common GMAT RC tricks (like meaning of a complex word/theory...after you practice you can get this sense).

Eventually I was getting most difficult questions correct and with SC, was consistently my highest score on simulated CATS....(but I failed to deliver during actual GMAT, when I lost confidence in my score....)

So IMO..practice and figure out what method works best for you...then do tons of Qs to build up stamina...
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:05
I tried reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and paraphrasing with notes, but I found myself spending more time with no improvement in accuracy. Personally, I'd rather nail SC and CR questions in under 60 seconds to build up a bigger time bank for RC. Like others that have posted, I read the passage in under 3 minutes.

Manager
Manager

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:36
Avernusaur wrote:
I tried reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and paraphrasing with notes, but I found myself spending more time with no improvement in accuracy. Personally, I'd rather nail SC and CR questions in under 60 seconds to build up a bigger time bank for RC. Like others that have posted, I read the passage in under 3 minutes.

I agree...I think you can bank extra time for RC with efficiencies in SC/CR questions...
Current Student

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:49
do you guys feel the passages gets harder (harder to understand, harder vocabs etc.) as the difficulties rise or just the questions themselves? The book says just longer and the sample passages it had werent that bad at all

Manager
Manager

Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 10:57
IMO....I feel the difficulty of a RC section is determined by the passage...the complexity of subject, density of concepts, etc...
Re: Question about the MGMAT RC techniques in real practice   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2009, 10:57