Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 13:43
Hey guys,

Here is my short little GMAT story. I started studying at the beginning of June and just took my GMAT today. The books I used were the OG set, Kaplan Premier and Kaplan Advanced books, MGMAT Guides set, and Peterson's. I also did 7 GMATCLUB tests (math).

During the last week, I found that it was hard to gauge the difficulty of the tests from anywhere on the internet. I found that the actual test looks and feels exactly like GMATprep (down to the light-blue/white color scheme and font) but is much harder in both Verbal and Math. The math section is not as hard as Manhattan GMAT tests, harder than GMATprep, but grades a bit easier than the GMATPrep. So if you're doing well on GMAT prep you can expect around the same exact score, even if you get harder questions on the actual test that you usually got on GMAT prep.

In terms of books, I found that Manhattan GMAT was more helpful than anything else - review your number properties! For math you should feel totally comfortable with all the rules regarding odds and evens and positive negatives, etc. If you have to try numbers to remember if oddxodd=odd or don't see that ab<0 means that a and b are opposite signs w/out even thinking, then you're in trouble for getting a very high math score.

The verbal section is, interestingly, harder than both GMATprep and Manhattan GMAT. I never met questions as hard the ones in my exam during preparation. Manhattan GMAT sentence correction helps in some sense for the "rules," but some sentences had a confusing "meaning/logic" in the first place that I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to say. I would say for verbal, take notes on the Manhattan GMAT books, and get a set of books that no one talks about - Peterson's.

Peterson's is published I think by McGraw Hill - I've seen them at Barnes and Nobles everywhere. Even though no one talks about them on this forum, I found that they are good for verbal. This is because they were written by someone who usually writes LSAT prep books. So the math on them is not helpful almost at all, but the verbal (esp. critical reading) and AWA were extremely useful. One of the books is just the typical GMAT general book and the other is called something like "GMAT official guide to essays" or "answers to official essays." This guy has taken almost half of all the AWA topics published on the GMAT website and written a 6-level example essay for it. This REALLY helps. I mean you can't plagarize, but reading lots of them just makes you feel like it's so easy to write AWA and you know exactly what they're looking for.

Peterson's also gives you 9 practice test (3 cats) which were fairly accurate. Very hard verbal though - about in the same league as actually super-top level GMAT verbal questions.

Best of luck!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 15:39
my god thats a terrific score ... not heard in recent times ...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 16:27
Thank you Cathy

I think Peterson's Ultimate Guide Practice tests are ungmat-like, it is too hard.

How many CAT did you take before the real test??

Very great score
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 17:10
Awesome score! I aspire to be at your level! Congrats. What schools are you interested in?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7607 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 17:16
Expert's post
Congratulations!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 02:47
Congrats cathy....

Can you shed some light on Peterson's guide.

Regards
FedX.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 04:22
Wow great score....you completely nailed it!
congratulations :)

WHEN HAMMER IS THE ONLY TOOL U HAVE..EVERY PROBLEM SHOULD SEEM LIKE A PIN....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 13:40
good job.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 18:17
fantastic!! time to move on to apps!
Manager
Manager

Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 11:22
Congratulations .That's really awesome score.
Manager
Manager

Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 11:22
How is application process going on?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 12:33
Wat a score :!:
Re: I just got a 780 (Q50;V48) - here are some tips!   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2009, 12:33