Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just received my score report. I got 740 (Q49, V41) and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I just received my score report. I got 740 (Q49, V41) and [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 06:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I just received my score report. I got 740 (Q49, V41) and 3.5 on AWA (horrible). I am planning to apply for business PhD this fall. Do I need to retake the test to get a better AWA? I didn't prepare much for AWAs as I was mostly focusing on studying for Quant/Verbal.
Should I be concerned? I don't think my writing is that bad. I think it was just my nerves. I was nervous and I couldn't write as much during the given 30 minutes. What should I do?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 8

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:03
utgirl826 wrote:
I just received my score report. I got 740 (Q49, V41) and 3.5 on AWA (horrible). I am planning to apply for business PhD this fall. Do I need to retake the test to get a better AWA? I didn't prepare much for AWAs as I was mostly focusing on studying for Quant/Verbal.
Should I be concerned? I don't think my writing is that bad. I think it was just my nerves. I was nervous and I couldn't write as much during the given 30 minutes. What should I do?

Hi UTGirl,

Its true that the AWA is the least important factors in a GMAT score, but having said that there is a common consensus on this board that a 4.0 is a bare minimum that one needs to avoid raising the adcom's eyebrows.

I'd recommend redoing it on that basis. If your score was a 4.0 i wouldn't have recommended it.

Last edited by buffdaddy on 11 Jun 2008, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:11
i believe a re-taking would make your job easy......do let us know what have you decided on this one.....HTH....

ATB...
bepositive
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:22
Are you a native speaker? I would contact your target schools. Your verbal is high and if you can communicate well on your essays, there shouldn't be a problem. But make sure with your target schools.

You can always try to have the awa re-graded.
Intern
Intern

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 08:03
Thank you for your comments. This is so frustrating...
I have a undergrad GPA 3.8 and grad GPA 3.9. Also since I am a consultant, I have to talk and write to clients on a daily basis. This score just doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what to do. My job is getting busier so I don't know if I will have the time to study for the test again. Even if I do better on my essays, I feel like the adcoms won't like it if my GMAT scores go down...
Director
Director

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 08:08
utgirl826 wrote:
Thank you for your comments. This is so frustrating...
I have a undergrad GPA 3.8 and grad GPA 3.9. Also since I am a consultant, I have to talk and write to clients on a daily basis. This score just doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what to do. My job is getting busier so I don't know if I will have the time to study for the test again. Even if I do better on my essays, I feel like the adcoms won't like it if my GMAT scores go down...

Hi UTGirl,

If I were you, I'd just take the test again Blind, but practice the AWA a couple of times before (and if you like post the practice essays here on the board for feedback). It won't matter if you come up with a lower score in your GMAT Q/V scores. The highest score counts in the as far as adcom are concerned. In your applications you can just say what you said above in the optional essay. i.e You don't know why your first AWA was so low, but here is the improvement....

the worst thing is that it will cost u $250 more, 4-5 hours of practice of AWA (including making templates) and some more effort in the optional essays.

but its a small price to pay to erase that 3.5
Intern
Intern

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 09:29
I talked to GMAT customer rep and decided to retake the test because it will cost $45 for a regrade anyways. Thank you for all your helpful comments!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 09:34
utgirl826 wrote:
I talked to GMAT customer rep and decided to retake the test because it will cost $45 for a regrade anyways. Thank you for all your helpful comments!

Not sure whether you've paid for the re-take, but seriously consider contacting your target school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 09:40
If you are prepared for a full retake AND you are sure you wrote good essays, I would pay for the re-grade first. They might increase your score.
Intern
Intern

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 10:30
Thank you for your advice! I already rescheduled my test on 7/12. Please wish me luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 11:31
This is a tough one. Best of luck with the retake.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 210

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 13:32
UTGirl, let me assure you that you're doing the right thing. These school adcoms can be real picky about little things (such as the AWA). You need everything working in your favour, and you've already got a lot of thing going for you. Try getting an even higher gmat score now that you're retaking.

Good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 22:47
Even I was devastated with a 4.5 AWA. Haven't yet decided whether to retake. Poor me currently amidst a huge workload .. arrgghh!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 07:57
The likely reason for your low AWA score is not poor english, but more likely the content. Both essays must be very specific on what they discuss. If your examples weren't specific enough in the issue essay or you included extra information in the argument essay (that wasn't specific stated in the argument), then you'll get a low score.

Do a search on this site for the "templates" that you need to follow to get a high score.

Good luck!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 01:41
I dunno, is a 3.5 AWA really THAT bad? Wouldn't some well written essays completely trump any minor concerns over that kind of score?

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Director
Director

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 04:29
YihWei wrote:
I dunno, is a 3.5 AWA really THAT bad? Wouldn't some well written essays completely trump any minor concerns over that kind of score?

herein lies the conundrum. Does the adcom think
a) - this person's application essays are great, lets not worry about his/her AWAR

or

b) - this person's awa is too low compared to her steller essays, did she write them herself????

to dispell b from ever happening, i recommend a retake. Also note that adcom get to see the essay one wrote in the AWA (if they wanted to)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2008, 04:36
I just took the GMAT on Monday and got a 780, including a 50 on the verbal section. My score report came back today and I got a 4.5 on AWA, which I'm slightly annoyed about. My essays followed a pretty successful formula, and my grammar is almost always on point.

There is absolutely no way I am risking my overall score to retake. I may ask for a regrade. My essays, combined with my verbal score, should more than make up for what two weary grad students getting paid a few bucks an essay and Grade-O-Tron have to say about my writing abilities. The thing with the GMAT is it is supposed to be a great equalizer, an objective measure of potential for academic success. The AWA is almost completely subjective. AdCom can judge my writing for themselves in one of the four or five essays I have to write for them.

Note that nobody reports AWA scores as part of admissions profiles. For a further snapshot of the admissions community as a whole, note that most undergrad schools still only report the "old school SAT", not including the new writing section.

I'm very annoyed right now, but I'll let the rest of my score and my essays speak for themselves.
Intern
Intern

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 21:43
Hi,
I gave the GMAT a few days back and scored 720 (VA - 36, QA - 51)
and AWA 4.
I am thinking of giving the exam again because of the dismal AWA score.
Could anyone suggest me if this would be the right strategy ?
Thanks

PS: I am planning to apply to US B Schools (some in the top most range, some in the middle,
ISB and some B Schools in Asia Pacific).
I have decent work ex, acads, extra curr etc..but am currently concerned about
my extremely low AWA and poor VA score.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 22:42
shruttu wrote:
Hi,
I gave the GMAT a few days back and scored 720 (VA - 36, QA - 51)
and AWA 4.
I am thinking of giving the exam again because of the dismal AWA score.
Could anyone suggest me if this would be the right strategy ?
Thanks

PS: I am planning to apply to US B Schools (some in the top most range, some in the middle,
ISB and some B Schools in Asia Pacific).
I have decent work ex, acads, extra curr etc..but am currently concerned about
my extremely low AWA and poor VA score.

shruttu,
I wouldn't worry about your AWA score. It's unlikely you will get dinged everywhere because of it. Even if you do, it wouldn't be because of your awa score. Good luck on you application! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 00:56
Thanks a lot billyjeans. Your reply was indeed helpful :)

I am convinced now that I don't need to take the GMAT again...
thinking of getting the AWA section regraded..Do you think that would be
fine ? What's the procedure for the same and can it lead to an even lower score
after regrading ?
Re: Low AWA Score...do i need to retake?   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2009, 00:56