Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I just wrote this piece after one of my friends asked me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 48

I just wrote this piece after one of my friends asked me [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I just wrote this piece after one of my friends asked me about the difference between animate and inanimate objects, with reference to the topic Need / In need of from the Gmatclub's Ultimate GMAT Grammar book.

Need / In Need Of

Animate VS inanimate objects : Note

Animate objects are those that can perform the given actions on their own. Generally, we consider all objects that have life and movement to be animate objects. However, the definition is not true in certain cases (exceptions as we call them). In such cases, the object follows all the criteria that makes it animate, but the action cannot be performed by the object. The action must be done by someone else. Here we shall use the grammar rules of inanimate objects.

Inanimate objects are not able to perform actions on their own. Generally we consider all objects that do not have life and/or movement, to be inanimate objects. However, the definition is not true in certain cases (exceptions as we call them). In such cases, the object follows all the criteria that makes it inanimate, but the action can be performed by the object itself. No external entity is needed to do the action for it. Here we shall use the grammar rules of animate objects.

Usually, when the subject of a sentence is an animate object, the verb need is followed by an infinitive verb. – These use “need”, along with the infinitive verb ( ‘to’ + verb = infinitive form of verb; can be remembered by saying that we don’t know whether the verb action will actually take place or not, but is required to occur. Hence, its time frame is infinite, or better say undefined.)

Hector needs to get (to + verb) a haircut.

We need to leave (to + verb) now.

My dog needs to learn (to + verb) new tricks.

Usually, when the subject of a sentence is an inanimate object, the verb need is followed by either a gerund (or “ing” verb), or the verb to be followed by the past participle of the action verb.

The grass needs cutting (-ing form of verb). OR The grass needs to be cut .

The motorcycle needs repairing (-ing form of verb). OR The motorcycle needs to be repaired.

The guest list needs writing (-ing form of verb). OR The guest list needs to be written.

Be aware that there are some exceptions to these rules. Sometimes, animate objects follow the second rule.

My dog needs to be fed. (by someone else) – action cannot be done by animate object ‘dog’ on its own. Thus it becomes inanimate in consideration.

The baby needs burping (-ing form of verb). OR The baby needs to be burped.

Sometimes, inanimate objects follow the first rule.

The buzzer needs to ring before we can leave class.(buzzer is set… it can ring by itself, thus making it animate in consideration… If the statement had the action of ‘setting’ the buzzer, then we would have said – "the buzzer needs to be set before it can ring" – which follows the rule for inanimate object perfectly.)

The grass needs to grow more before I can cut it.

The expression in need of can be used in some cases in place of using the verb need. However, because the word need is not a verb in the phrase in need of, it must be preceded by the verb 'be'.
[The verb “be” can take up any of the forms as – is, was, were, am, etc…]

Darren is in need of a haircut. (Darren needs a haircut.)
The car was in need of new tires. (The car needed new tires.)
The girls were in need of prom dresses. (The girls needed prom dresses.)

Any Expert / Admin / Mods help in making this post better would be great.

consider giving kudos if u find this useful. they don't come cheap. :)

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
I just wrote this piece after one of my friends asked me   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2012, 02:11