Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 15:10

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I keep making stupid mistakes in quant!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

I keep making stupid mistakes in quant! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 06:37
With my test date approaching (3 days, 23 hours, ~24 min), I've learned a very valuable lesson about myself during the quant..

and that lesson is: Never let yourself become cocky, no matter how easy the question may seem.

I did a bunch of quant questions in OG this week. I got most of them wrong. The problem was not that I didn't know how to do the problems, it's that I wouldn't read the question carefully enough or become overconfident thinking that I "knew how to do this type of question" and in the process overlooked carrying a 3 over to the next line.

The result of looking over my work was that I have become paranoid, and I don't trust myself anymore. I'm going to scrutinize myself even more now. I also have a problem in reading the question again after I come up with the answer, although I've become better at doing so.
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 06:48
I was also making these same mistakes, then I decided to follow one principle. Pay attention to detail. That's it. I knew the concepts, I was just missing a minus sign or solving for x when they ask for y. If that's you're only problem, you'll be fine, because you'll start paying closer attention to the small stuff now that you know the concepts.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 11:05
I am doing the same stupid mistakes and I am finding it really hard to limit myself to 2-3 mins per question and not make these mistakes.

I feel like I would rather take an extra minute and at least get the question right and have a few left at the end that I guess on, rather than rush thru.

I am not sure which strategy is better: rushing thru with 2 minutes max per question and attempting all questions, but making careless errors because of moving quickly, or taking an extra minute or two on a question here and there and answering it correctly, but guessing on 5 questions at the end b/c of time.

This goes for Quant only, I seem to have enough time for the Verbal.

I recently read that the Cat algorithm no longer weighs the first 10 questions as previously was thought. here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/t54256
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 20:24
Take a little break and clear your head. Go for a run or bike ride, watch the Simpsons or Jon Stewart, have a drink with friends. Then jump back in, and make sure you're reading carefully. Also make sure you're not eating too many carbs...that can definitely cloud your thinking!
  [#permalink] 22 Oct 2007, 20:24