Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I know that modifiers are supposed to touch the noun the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
I know that modifiers are supposed to touch the noun the [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 09:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I know that modifiers are supposed to touch the noun the modify, and when they don't it is a "misplaced modifier"

One exception to the rule is for adverbial modifiers (modifiers that describe verbs) --> they don't have to directly touch the word/phrase they modify

However I have seen an instance on a GMAT question where the sentence opens with a modifier, and the word at the end of that modifier is modified (seperated by commas) and then the word the initial modifying phrase modifies the second phrase. I rejected it on the basis of the fact that modifiers are directly supposed to touch their noun they modify, but that choice turned out to be the correct answer.

Can someone please clear this up for me and/or tell me the other general rules/exceptions that i need to watch out for
will kudos!

I cannot remember the actual sentence that was correct, if i find it in my error log later I will post, but for now here is an very basic example i just made up to illustrate the point:

Having driven to the store, which is bigger than any other store in the area, Tom walked up and down every single aisle.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exceptions to rule: modifiers touch the noun they modify [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 10:05
there r 4 exceptions given in the Manhattan SC 4th edition in advance modifier section

Also, your construction of the example is wrong because it is nat making any sense to me. Sentence starting with present participle modifiers technically modifies verb but they need noun to make sense. .....According to Manhattan SC

e.g. Using the latest scale, which is the most comprehensive, the scientist completed the research.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Re: Exceptions to rule: modifiers touch the noun they modify   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 10:05