Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I know the OA, but would like to hear your thoughts and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

I know the OA, but would like to hear your thoughts and [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I know the OA, but would like to hear your thoughts and reasoning.

Dillworth: More and more people are deciding not to have children because of the personal and economic sacrifices children require and because so often children are ungrateful for the considerable sacrifices their parents do make for them: However, such considerations have no bearing on the fact that their children provide the best chance most people have of ensuring that their values live on after them. Therefore, for anyone with deeply held values, foregoing parenthood out of reluctance to make sacrifices for which little gratitude can be expected would probably be a mistake

Travers: Your reasoning ignores another fact that deserves consideration children s ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values.

The point of Travers rejoinder to Dillworth s argument is that

(A) Dillowrth s assumption that children acquire values only from their parents is mistaken
(B) it is a mistake to dismiss as irrelevant the personal and economic sacrifices people are called on to make for the sake of their children
(C) Dillworth has overlooked the well-known fact that people with deeply held values not infrequently reject opposing values that are deeply held by others.
(D) the desire to perpetuate their values should not be a factor in people s decision to have children
(E) the fact than children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices is not irrelevant to decidmg whether to have children in order to perpetuate one's values
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:22
It looks like clear A to me...

Dillowrth says that children will take their family values as their own for granted

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 01:34
E seems the best.

Dilworth says that people should ignore the fact that children are ungrateful in order to ensure their values live after them.

Travers contradicts this by saying that ungratefulness is because of the ignorance of values.

Thus, ungratefulness should be a consideration to have have children.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 01:51
I would go for E as well. Whats the QA Snaps ?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 07:18
IMO E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:29
Snaps, when you put an LSAT question on this forum, you should TELL everyone that it's an LSAT question! Nevertheless, it's good practice for finding the conclusion.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:39
Can we have the OA?

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 21:12
I'm going with C.
OA please?
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 08:43
snaps wrote:
I know the OA, but would like to hear your thoughts and reasoning.

Dillworth: More and more people are deciding not to have children because of the personal and economic sacrifices children require and because so often children are ungrateful for the considerable sacrifices their parents do make for them: However, such considerations have no bearing on the fact that their children provide the best chance most people have of ensuring that their values live on after them. Therefore, for anyone with deeply held values, foregoing parenthood out of reluctance to make sacrifices for which little gratitude can be expected would probably be a mistake

Travers: Your reasoning ignores another fact that deserves consideration children s ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values.

The point of Travers rejoinder to Dillworth s argument is that

(A) Dillowrth s assumption that children acquire values only from their parents is mistaken
(B) it is a mistake to dismiss as irrelevant the personal and economic sacrifices people are called on to make for the sake of their children
(C) Dillworth has overlooked the well-known fact that people with deeply held values not infrequently reject opposing values that are deeply held by others.
(D) the desire to perpetuate their values should not be a factor in people s decision to have children
(E) the fact than children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices is not irrelevant to decidmg whether to have children in order to perpetuate one's values

Is this a valid sentence?

Your reasoning ignores another fact that deserves consideration children s ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values.

Any way my choice is E. Travers is supporting D.

A is not correct because there is no assumption

B is incorrect as it states the contrary

C is out of scope

D is neither supported nor denounced by T

E is saying that the fact than children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices is not irrelevant (relevant) to decidmg whether to have children in order to perpetuate one's values

T is saying Rejection of PV -> children are often ungrateful for parental sacrifices
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 22:29
E is the clear choice.
whts the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 23:54
E.

If Travers's reply [i.e the fact that "ingratitude for parental sacrifices usually stems from a wholesale rejection of parental values"] is true, the people who want children in order to perpetuate their values should rethink if they want children.

E conveys this meaning

In mathematical terms, "the set of children having ingratitude for parental sacrifices due to wholesale rejection of parental values" form a sub-set of ungrateful children. :-)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 00:38
I think the answer should be D. The reason for my choice is that Travers said that children's ingratitude usually stems from their rejection of parental values. If such a behavior from children can be expected to be a usual thing, then it's not a good idea to have a child for the reason of passing your values because it became a usual thing, at least for most of the children, to expect a rejection of these values lay out by the parents.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Main Point Question [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 23:08
Guys, the OA is E.

Question source is Kaplan LSAT prep book
Question type is avg difficulty

thanks everyone.
Re: CR: Main Point Question   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2008, 23:08