Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Rotarian, RYLA, heavily involved in community service
Schools: HBS, Wharton, UW- Foster, Willamette-Atkinson, still deciding
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA... [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,
I stressed about the GMAT, BIG TIME because I am not a good "test taker." I have always suffered test anxiety to varying degrees of severity, but it's usually the worst with standardized tests! The GMAT was no different. I studied and did all the practice tests and was scoring decently, then I walked into that testing center and bombed. Literally. My score was in the 400's. (However my analytical writing assessment was a 6) I was pretty much heartbroken over it. I figured there was no way the schools I was applying to (HBS and UW-Foster) would even look at me, it was laughable. I applied anyway with the disclaimer that I planned to take the GMAT again and was working to get over my testing anxiety. I got an initial interview with HBS, and I was admitted to UW-Foster with that score, and my undergraduate GPA of 2.99. I decided to accept admission to Foster and do their "North America" EMBA program and not continue on with the HBS process for many different reasons, but aside from that everybody needs to remember that it's about strong candidates with really interesting and diverse experience who will bring a lot to the classroom. Apparently I was a very strong candidate otherwise, even though I one of the youngest and least-experienced people in the class so far, I am pretty sure I am also the only small business owner/entrepreneur. It's easy to get psyched about the test (and in my case too psyched!) remember there's more to it than GMAT!

Good luck everyone!
Genevieve
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC, DUKE
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA... [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
Great posting idea!!! let's give some advice to people who did not get a high GMAT....
I have posted before in another thread just to let people know is not the end of the world if you score low on the GMAT. I took the GMAT and scored a 560, with that score I was told that I should give up on my idea to get into a top 25 program, I was even told that I should not even consider a top 50.
I focused on a good application with great essays, great interview and basically telling a story with my application (I also targeted schools that I found had a good fit for me) the result
TUCK-> waitlisted
FUQUA -> accepted with no $$
UNC-> accepted with some $$

I just started my orientation today at UNC!!!

Remember application is a process that involves way more than just GMAT scores, I know people with 760 who got dinged from UNC and FUQUA, and here I am a 560 who is going, so do yourself a favor and listen less to people in some forums who tell you that you are not good enough and let adcom decide
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA... [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 09:16
good luck at Foster! It's good to hear some encouraging words.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA... [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 17:08
Wow, congratulations you guys! This is very encouraging. Reading through this forum often conveys the notion you've got to hit 750+ or your chances are the top schools are miniscule.

I hear Foster is a great program and that it has a lot of attractive ladies...haha
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA... [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:21
UW is a very nice campus. I really like Seattle as a whole. A lot of outdoor activities.
Re: I learned that getting admitted is not ALL about GMAT/GPA...   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2010, 02:21