Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMB (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Schools: IIMB (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: I'm 33 - Am I too old for applying for MBA in US? [#permalink]
Hi Ram

What I meant was to be clear in your mind about what you want. In my case ,one of the biggest factors is that I wish to go back in the job market within a year so not looking for traditional 2 year programs. There could be a lot of other reasons about which you need to think and then take a call.

selection/rejection will come at a much later stage :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello and welcome to GMAT Club!
There is a variety of applicants who have been able to get in at the age of 30 or older. It is getting tougher as you approach 35.
There are a number of discussions about this with this blog perhaps being the most prominent by one of the members: https://mbaover30.com/ (he is an applicant turned admissions consultant)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
The best thing in USA that they have no age limit for education. You have to meet other requirements such as TOEFL and GMAT to be accepted in any school.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
shagalo wrote:
The best thing in USA that they have no age limit for education. You have to meet other requirements such as TOEFL and GMAT to be accepted in any school.

Yes... but bschools won't take you past a certain age or at least they have not done that for the Full Time program and instead push you out into the EMBA.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Ram,

I have almost identical background as yours. I also have my own startup(I contribute on a part-time basis). I am 32 and going through the ordeal this year. All dings in the first round. I have slight hopes on the second round outcome. I have a GMAT score of 700 and did a decent job with essays. But so far, no luck.

Some unsolicited advice :

1. It's going to be very tough. Manage your expectations. Someone once told me that getting into a top US business school is a two year process for Indians.
2. Get a stellar GMAT score. I think a lot of people underplay the role of GMAT in the admissions. A very high GMAT will probably make the adcom take an another look at your essays,
3. Write stellar essays(this is going to take the maximum amount of time).
4. Why MBA story has to be perfect. Career goals should be crystal clear and make sense. By looking at the resume and essays, the adcom should know why you want an MBA and how you will flourish with it.
5. Play the round strategy properly.

I know all of these things in the hindsight. This sounds easy to execute, but it's a lot of hard work. One idea is to look at 1 years programs in Europe. They are relatively easy to get into and age is not going be a major issue there.

First step for you is to understand why you need an MBA clearly(not just getting senior management position). Start looking at the linked profiles and get a clear understanding of your career trajectory post-MBA. Explore post-MBA careers paths. Talk to current students and alumni.

If you are committed and strong, I don't see any reason why you won't make it just because you are 33. But the path is difficult and at the end of it you will come out as a better person. All the best!

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
bb wrote:
shagalo wrote:

Yes... but bschools won't take you past a certain age or at least they have not done that for the Full Time program and instead push you out into the EMBA.

Boss does age creates an issue in Top B school? Beacuse Harvard doesnot have an EMBA
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
I think age will not be that big a problem if you can present a stellar profile and convince the Adcom as to why you want to go for an MBA now. I was also in your shoes in 2012, and I got through in several places.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
subhashghosh wrote:
I think age will not be that big a problem if you can present a stellar profile and convince the Adcom as to why you want to go for an MBA now. I was also in your shoes in 2012, and I got through in several places.

Even Harvard says age is not an Issue in USA as far as admission is concerned.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
honchos wrote:

Boss does age creates an issue in Top B school? Beacuse Harvard doesnot have an EMBA

There are many factors, I think.

1. It depends on the career goals. Careers such as consulting might prefer slightly younger candidates.
    2. International students might have a tough time compared to US citizens due to visa issues.
    3. It might also indicate you have taken a lot of time to be here(there could be younger candidates with similar accomplishments etc.)
    4. Schools like Darden, HBS, Stanford are known to prefer younger candidates
    5. And with the EMBA programs, the schools might want to push the older candidates in that direction...

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
honchos wrote:

1. It depends on the career goals. Careers such as consulting might prefer slightly younger candidates.
    2. International students might have a tough time compared to US citizens due to visa issues.
    3. It might also indicate you have taken a lot of time to be here(there could be younger candidates with similar accomplishments etc.)
    5. And with the EMBA programs, the schools might want to push the older candidates in that direction...

Thanks,
Prodizy

Is it also True for Public administration studies as in Harvard Kennedy school, which is also a part of Harvard University-Schools like Darden, HBS, Stanford are known to prefer younger candidates
Retired Moderator
Send PM
honchos wrote:
prodizy wrote:
honchos wrote:

Thanks,
Prodizy

Is it also True for Public administration studies as in Harvard Kennedy school, which is also a part of Harvard University-Schools like Darden, HBS, Stanford are known to prefer younger candidates

Hey, I don't know. Even the information I posted above is not first-hand. It is based on my research on the web.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Though I am not that old but still I have send an email to Harvard Business school.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
honchos wrote:
Though I am not that old but still I have send an email to Harvard Business school.

I wouldn't worry that much. And I don't think adcom would say they prefer younger candidates. Being clear with goals should help as Subash pointed out.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
honchos wrote:
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/06/at-hbs-older-mbas-seem-in-vogue/

I am quoting from the above article you shared :)

===
I would not get my hopes up over that figure, however, if you are from consulting, banking, or PE. They are not looking for aged types from those villages because it usually means burn-out, dementia, or you just got fired.”
===

Thanks,
Prodizy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
honchos wrote:

===
I would not get my hopes up over that figure, however, if you are from consulting, banking, or PE. They are not looking for aged types from those villages because it usually means burn-out, dementia, or you just got fired.”
===

Thanks,
Prodizy

What if one is from NGO, World Bank etc.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
honchos wrote:
prodizy wrote:
honchos wrote:

===
===

Thanks,
Prodizy

What if one is from NGO, World Bank etc.

Exactly, it all boils down to career goals and the applicant profile I guess.

Thanks,
Prodizy
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2