Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'm 50 y old, aiming for Finance PhD admission...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I'm 50 y old, aiming for Finance PhD admission... [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2006, 14:35
Hello you all,

I came to this site through GOOGLE. Probably, most participants are "young minds" here. My heart and mind are young, but I am almost 50! I hope to start a new thread where we could discuss about PhD in business for older students.

My biggest fear is admission rejection because of my age. Does anybody have any experience, information, ideas, advice about this topic?

I am serious. I am actually 49 y and 11 months old. I have been a systems librarian for last 7 years; before I was a systems administrator for too many years to be counted; and prior to that I was a Fortran programmer. Besides the MA, library science (MLS) and the MS, computer science, I graduated with a bachelor's degree in economics...27 years ago!

I moved to the USA 12 years ago. I learnt my English here. My degrees are from French universities, but the MLS. My biggest GMAT problems are the Reading Comprehension and the Critical Reasoning. I mistakingly believed that I can handle the quantitative pretty well. After studying with the KAPLAN GMAT book for about 5 weeks, I took the exam and got 590. Prior to taking the exam, I was WRONGLY optimistic, thinking that "as soon as I understand the exam format, I will get 750 or higher...".

My aim is to apply for fall 2007 admission. Please, share your opinion and/or experience.

Thanks.
:-D :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2006, 16:16
Max,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14303

There is a lot to this. I'd advise looking through the above and other threads here. Most of the advice applies regardless of age. One point I'll make right off is that you probably need to get that GMAT up. This site is a great place for advice on that.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2006, 04:53
Hi Max,

There is a great thread on PhD in the Business Week forum titled " PhD in Strat.? 4th yr @ Top 25 taking Q". Hope this link works:

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=37185.5789&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools

The discussion about age has often come up there (in fact it is the current topic even now!!) Go through it and am sure you will find it illuminating
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2006, 11:27
Thank you both for your advice and comments! Your URLs are very helpful!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2006, 03:34
did u take the official test? or did you just take one of the Kaplan tests? if its the Kaplan test then 590 is not a bad score. If not you need to improve the score. Use forums like this one, test magic and score top. Also you have to get the official guide and do it really thouroughly. Improving to 700+ is critical and a month of hard work will get you there...
  [#permalink] 05 Mar 2006, 03:34