Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'm done: 680

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 1

I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
This morning I sat for the third time to take the GMAT and got an overall score of 680 (Q49, V34). The 700 proved once again to be more elusive than what we (at least I) normally think.

I had high hopes for this attempt. I have been studying non-stop for a while and while the 680 is a pretty respectable score, I was expecting a 700+. I guess I'll have to settle for 86 percentile. Not that I'm not happy -- I got a 530 on my first take 9 months ago--, but I'm sure many of you share the same feeling: What if..?

What gets me the most is the fluctuation between my scores. The first time I took the test I got 530 (Q42, V24, or something like that: I'm too lazy to get up and find my report card), the second time around I got a 610 (Q35, V39) and this one, while I managed to raise my overall score by 150 points total, I'm a bit disappointed with my performance in the Verbal section.

I'm not a native speaker, but I don't think that had anything to do on this one. My guess is that I was doing quite well on the Verbal and started seeing extremely hard questions and thus, mismanaging my time. I run out of time to answer properly my last 7-8 questions. I also thought I had bombed Quant and while I psyched myself into the test again during the break, it probably hurt my performance at least for a few questions at the beginning.

My preparation:
Before this test, my math skills consisted on being able to look at the time and figure out how much time I had left to finish my work. That said, I started with the very basics (see one of my very first posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/7-p382629?t=53922#p382629).

After taking my first test, I decided to get the help of an mgmat tutor for a few weeks, and although it didn't really show on my second attempt, it really helped. I believe that math skills, just like SC, need to soak in for a while before you start improving and this is what happened that one time. I think my math is now at a decent level and I believe my tutor had a lot to do with this.

For this attempt, I signed up for the Kaplan Advanced class. While some people think Kaplan is the worst you could do, I don't think this to be the case. After working with an mgmat tutor, I was confident I had gotten the most out of that company, so I decided to try another one to see what I could learn from them. Also, and probably the biggest reason, I needed to have a syllabus of some sort that would help me review all the content, in order to avoid overlooking something for my third and final retake.

I found the class helpful. It helped me further develop my math skills and gave some foundation on Verbal. Opposite to contrary belief, Kaplan is not all based on guessing. While they provide you with techniques of this sort, they only cover this in the first session; the rest are devoted to understanding the concepts behind the questions and stuff like that. I think this is where I got better at DS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Kaplan is all you need for a great score, I'm just saying that it's good enough to help you prepare for the test. Obviously, there's a ton more of things to do if you want a high score.

Other than that, I went over the normal stuff: Princeton Review (started with this one), OG (all three guides), MGMAT guides, and Kaplan course material.

My CATs:
GMATprep: 690, 740
Kaplan: 610, 690, 670, 650, 660, 700
MGMAT: 640, 630, 640, 430 (I mostly did this one for Q. I answer Verbal in less that an hour in all my attempts and didn't even bothered in my last one.)
GMAT Club challenges (1 through 10): 51%, 37%, 45%, 96%, 63%, 86%, 57%, 73%, 48%, 40%

Thank you!
Many thanks to all of you. I'm sure that without this community, achieveing a good score would be harder than what it already is. (There's a bunch of people out there who deserve special recognition, but I'm not sure how good I would be at including them all, so this will have to do :)

Always here to help:
I guess that's it, but if there's anything in there that you think can help your preparation, don't hesitate to ask.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 16:34
Great achievement! Congratulations.Good luck on other parts of app.
Current Student
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 17:06
hey !!! no sweat, 680 is a decent enough score. Try to have a good essay, and have some good recommendations...
you are a winner because you have tried, and thats wht matters...
all the very best!!!
arj
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 19:25
Congratulations!! buddy.. 680 is good score..
good luck for your apps and essays.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 19:31
Congrats asdert, 680 is a pretty decent score. Good luck for the essay and application.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 22:12
asdert, very good improvement. 680 is pretty competitive for any top B school with good essays. Congratulations!!!!

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 23:57
Wow! 530 to 680 is amazing .... Congrats ... All the best for your apps

Please give us more tips on improving Verbal :)

Thanks

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 08:48
great score! doesn't that look 10 times better than the old one? :)

congrats
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: I'm done: 680 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 23:08
Thanks guys. I do realize 680 is not a bad score, and yes, there's no comparison with my initial score (I guess I shouldn't have taken that one without being fully prepared).

Amitdgr, I'll try to add something about my verbal preparation tomorrow, but as you can see, I'm no guru there (not that I am at quant).

Good luck to you all!
Re: I'm done: 680   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2008, 23:08