Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 0

I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
Yay, I'm done! Last night I was totally stressing out over GMAT. Had the 8am exam appointment. Should be a ~30min drive from home, so I left around 7am.. turns out it was raining cats and dogs and I didn't arrive at exam center until 10 after. Exam center was fairly comfortable but I was panicing a little at the beginning (also from caffine high iguess :twisted: ). Quickly settled down. AWA was easy, IR was much easier than expected with answers seems fairly obvious. I ran out of time during Quant and took educated guess on the last 2 questions, and finished Verbal pretty much on time.

For study experience, I posted in a different thread, but basically started back in early July and studying average of 5~10hrs / week for it. I'm out of school for about 4.5yrs now, and was in generally very rusty. Until late August, my studying consisted of reading and going through exercises from the following sources:

- PowerScore CR Bible
- MGMAT SC + Aristotle SC
- MGMAT Quant books.

I didn't do any of the official problems yet. Late August, did my first MGMAT online exam, untimed. Score: Q43, V35, 640. (before Aug 29 adjustment, so really like ~610)

Spend next 2 weeks going through OG13 Verbal problems and DS problems (weakest links per CAT analysis).

Second MGMAT: untimed, score: Q46, V35, 670.

Stressing out now concerning the lack of progress with verbal. Throughly analyzed verbal results, found CR + RC to be weakness. Finished CR + RC from VR2.

GMAT Prep: Timed, IR 7, Q49, V40. This was done the day before exam, so I was fairly satisfied with the results. This is my first ever timed exam, 3 minutes left over for IR, 7 minutes left over for Quant, 27 minutes left over for verbal!!!

Tip: Datamine, datamine, and further datamine your practise results. Whenever you do set of problems, look at it in the context of how is it going to improve your overall score? Bring up your weakest performance group first and let go of your better results.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 21:12
Congrats!Great score on ur 1st attempt!
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.
Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Is the level of difficulty same as that of gmatprep?
Also,in verbal,which part according to u was the most difficult in the exam.

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 02:19
dude, what do you mean by august 29 adjustment ?

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 07:27
Quote:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.
Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Is the level of difficulty same as that of gmatprep?
Also,in verbal,which part according to u was the most difficult in the exam.

Throughout my review process, DS / number theories had been my weak link. The principles were very simple but applying them to different situations were more challenge. I felt I struggled quite a bit with number theory questions during Quant.

Overall, GmatPrep was good representation of the diffculty. Maybe Quant was a little easier, and Gmat Prep represents a good snapshot of the topics and questions asked on GMAT.

Most diffculty part was probably SC. I think half of the verbal ended up as SC that got pretty brutal towards the end.

Quote:
what do you mean by august 29 adjustment ?

This is for the Manhattan GMAT online CATs.

CAT Recalibration – August 29, 2012
We have recalibrated our CAT scoring. CATs taken AFTER 11:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2012 are scored according to the new calibration. Older CAT scores are unaffected.
New MGMAT Quant subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1 point.
New MGMAT Verbal subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1-2 points.
New MGMAT Overall scores, on average, are lower by approximately 18 points.*
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 07:49
Stellar score! Congrats!!
How many practice tests did you give and which ones?
And all the best for the apps!
Intern
Intern

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 09:22
Just 3 - see above. I took 2 MGMAT untimed, and 1 timed Gmat Prep.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 28

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 19:26
Congrats! Good luck with the applications

Just wanting to know if you referred to any other book apart from MGMAT and OG to practice DS and number prop.
Intern
Intern

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 20:08
I read through the GMAT Club Math book. It was good source of notes, however it pretty much overlapped with notes I took myself. I felt that DS from QR2 were easier than OG13, and OG13 is a very good representation of what exams asked.
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 05:32
congrats for your score and good luck for applications.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: I'm finished! 1st try 740, Q:48 V42   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2012, 05:32