Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I'm the new kid in town (GMAT Club)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I'm the new kid in town (GMAT Club) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 10:11
Hi everybody,

My name is Rafiul Akbar. I just joined the GMAT club. I have wanted to be a part of a large team where I could get some solid advice and some guidance. That's why I'm here.

I'm in london and there are lots of institutions here charging quite a lot for preparing ppl for GMAT exams. I don't think I need something like that.

Rather I need to know which books I should buy and study.

I am planning to apply to the top 13 finance schools in the US next year.

Might seem like I have all the time but I would like to get it over and done with.

I am aiming to get 99%. I believe I can do that as long as I study a good combination of books within 2 months. What do you think?

Please feel free to suggest any ideas on GMAT books and, any other suggestions, advice I may need to start off.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon.

Rafiul

It's all in the mind. Everything tends to cross out to become...nothing. Do keep the balance by doing something...something meaningful

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2004, 21:49
Hellu...

welcome to the gang ! the books :

PRINCETON REVIEW : this. it is opined as to be the closest to the OG ... it has good tricks mostly in line with the POE a.k.a procees of Elmination

has a set of tests too but I hear the 04' edition has some software problem... the oo5 edition is in the market...

princeton verbal workout is better than most other books ...I do not have a view on the kaplan's I have not touched that...

arco's : found it useful especially the math was good... and they too have about 4 tests which are ok types ... strategeis are good but what U can find the best about the arco's is the essay book which covers almost all the topics which are provided in the OG...

KAPLAN: U see the name itself needs capital letters...it is the 'tough' material type... of course nothing is so for the eveready typez. Kaplan adds to the good standardz of a good prep , in short it helps u to know how to climb a hill and thus helps ur climbing the hillock much easier...

do not base ur strenghts on the basis of KAPLAN scores...but yes if ur weaknesses are pretty evident then U better 'kill' them all and get ready...

OG : the bible or quran or the gita....watvever U can tell or oipne,WHY ' because it is the collection of the actual Gmat questions compiled and composed by the ETS... and only this gives u an idea as to how or what the test may be seem to appear. practise as much as U can ...from this and do it as many times as U can and have 2

for more that is if U are stil eager and hungry...keep in touch and try to spend some valuable time with this grp...

Finally, nothing maters more than hard work and yes IF u WISH to be the best u know it well only smart ness helps ...

PRACTICE smart and practice effectively....

and when U reach ur goal let us all know that we would be happy and it would help others like U ....

hope that helps !

Have fun

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

CIO
CIO
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 06:33
WOW! enigmatic007, that was an excellent response! So warm and inviting and right on the money.

Rafiul, good luck with your studies. For the record, I don't think any book out there has really tapped into the real deal when it comes to some of the more "difficult" problems. Probability, combinations, permutations, and standard deviation are all VERY manageable, and also very misunderstood in GMAT terms. When you're studying, if you've got any questions about those topics, make sure you check out this board, as there are some great discussions about them.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 08:54
Hello,

With due respect to other posters, I do not find Kaplan's materials all that useful. The problem isn't that the tests are too "hard" per se but that the tests are misrepresentative of one's true performance. Writing a difficult test is exteremely easy - writing one that is difficult in a meaningful manner is much more difficult.

PR's materials are generally better but I find them to be particularly adept are re-stating the obvious. If you have taken standardized tests before, these "revelations" add little to your understanding of taking this type of exam.

Hjort
CIO
CIO
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 09:19
Agreed. Let me be more specific. I generally don't like any of the books, and PR is particularly bad. In my opinion, they dumb down the test by a lot, and the whole Joe Bloggs thing is only good as a way of POE, which is never going to be a valid way of acing the test (the goal is 99%ile).

The only Kaplan book I like is the GRE/GMAT Math Workbook. They write out very good lessons in their, and the questions they use to back them up are quite good at getting someone in touch with the needs of the test.

I would never trust any of their cd's to predict a score, though.

Ultimately, the OG is the only great book out there, though I don't like its explanations too much.
  [#permalink] 26 Jul 2004, 09:19