Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 11:22
Hello! I am a non US native. Graduated from US university in 2007 and have been working in business consulting since graduation. Recently I quit my job to study full time for the GMAT.
I am hoping I can get some advice since I have been studying consistently for the GMAT for 5 months and I have not yet seen my efforts pay off. I am truly trying to be optimistic and keep going, but I am starting to question if I will be able to obtain a GMAT score worthy of a top 10 business school. I need guidance.
My concern is that my next attempt will be my fourth and I still need to raise my score 150 points to be a competitive candidate. (Shooting for GMAT 700- International scholarship)
My journey-
1st attempt- 2007 after graduation -not prepared for the test- cancelled my score
2nd attempt- December 2010- GMAT score of 500- GMAT PREP 600
3rd attempt- March 2011- GMAT score 550- GMAT PREP 680
I am forcing myself to take the test one more time and study for another 3 months.
The new study plan is to develop the following material from cover to cover:
Official guide 11 and 12
Manhattan Review - GMAT collection (8 books)
Kaplan Premier
Sentence Correction Bible
Critical Reasoning Bible

Please tell me if it is worth doing this or if schools will not find me as a desirable candidate due to the number of times I have taken the GMAT. Also, I would like to know if not having a job for more then 6 months will work against me during the application process. Studying for the GMAT is taking me longer than I had anticipated.
Please comment!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 21:57
Persistentgal473 wrote:
Hello! I am a non US native. Graduated from US university in 2007 and have been working in business consulting since graduation. Recently I quit my job to study full time for the GMAT.
I am hoping I can get some advice since I have been studying consistently for the GMAT for 5 months and I have not yet seen my efforts pay off. I am truly trying to be optimistic and keep going, but I am starting to question if I will be able to obtain a GMAT score worthy of a top 10 business school. I need guidance.
My concern is that my next attempt will be my fourth and I still need to raise my score 150 points to be a competitive candidate. (Shooting for GMAT 700- International scholarship)
My journey-
1st attempt- 2007 after graduation -not prepared for the test- cancelled my score
2nd attempt- December 2010- GMAT score of 500- GMAT PREP 600
3rd attempt- March 2011- GMAT score 550- GMAT PREP 680
I am forcing myself to take the test one more time and study for another 3 months.
The new study plan is to develop the following material from cover to cover:
Official guide 11 and 12
Manhattan Review - GMAT collection (8 books)
Kaplan Premier
Sentence Correction Bible
Critical Reasoning Bible

Please tell me if it is worth doing this or if schools will not find me as a desirable candidate due to the number of times I have taken the GMAT. Also, I would like to know if not having a job for more then 6 months will work against me during the application process. Studying for the GMAT is taking me longer than I had anticipated.
Please comment!

Hi Persistentgal473

Many (if not most) schools take the highest GMAT score of an applicant, so I encourage you to give it your best shot this time. Not having a job for more than 6 months (or even a shorter duration) can work against you. Top tier schools will in all probability notice this fact and quiz you in your interviews but non-elite schools can let this pass by. It all depends upon where you apply.
GMAT doesn't take 9 months to prepare and you can definitely push your scores up rather quickly if you focus on the fundamentals from the right books. You haven't given your score breakups so I can't comment on your course of action.

Just my 2 cents

IndigoIntentions

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9421 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 22:05
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club!

Here are my suggestions:

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 21:05
Instead of OG 11 , do OG 10 it's bit tough and would be beneficial. MGMAT - do only number properties and sentence correction. Attempt all the MGMAT CATs. Do RC 99 for RC.

If you want to do some additional practice in quant/verbal do the OG quant/verbal review version 2.0.

If you do the above things diligently. I am sure you will touch 650. Do make it a point to attempt all the CATs under time contraints and attempt atleast 6 CATs before the real GMAT.

Remember:

if x+y+z = success then:-
x=hard work
y=sports/exercise
z=keep your mouth shut

Best of Luck.
Zuber
Re: I NEED GUIDANCE- GMAT 550 NEED TO GET 700   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 21:05