Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 14:26
There seems to be this sentiment that if you didn't get 7XX on the GMAT and 4.X GPA and go to XXX school and save the world blah blah blah and somehow still got into a top 25 school that you "stole" someones spot. One particular demographic seems to really spew this. I'm not one to go gently into the good night, either.

Is this what I'm in for? P/T people are already marginalized, so am I the one with the plauge once I hit B-school? If I try to get into a study group are they going to ding me becasue I wasn't a 720+ like them?

Shoot straight with me here. Level with me, and be honest. I'll walk away from the deposit, the grant, all of it. If this is how it's going to be, I can this of better ways to feel shitty about myself for the next 2.5 - 3 years.

/rant off

-zakk

Friend to hamsters, snowboard cruiser, first person ever to score a 12 on the GMAT, bad golfer, decent PR hack, all around nice guy.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 15:47
Once you are there, it quickly becomes clear that the only people who still talk about GPA from Undergrad and GMAT are douchebags.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 15:54
I love when I hear about people with lower marks hit the big schools! It shows determination and drive, and also gives hope to others out there.

I cant imagine that once you start, people would even mention their marks. Isnt maturity one of the preconditions for top schools????

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 16:08
zakk wrote:
There seems to be this sentiment that if you didn't get 7XX on the GMAT and 4.X GPA and go to XXX school and save the world blah blah blah and somehow still got into a top 25 school that you "stole" someones spot. One particular demographic seems to really spew this. I'm not one to go gently into the good night, either.

Is this what I'm in for? P/T people are already marginalized, so am I the one with the plauge once I hit B-school? If I try to get into a study group are they going to ding me becasue I wasn't a 720+ like them?

Shoot straight with me here. Level with me, and be honest. I'll walk away from the deposit, the grant, all of it. If this is how it's going to be, I can this of better ways to feel shitty about myself for the next 2.5 - 3 years.

/rant off

You're not going to know very many people's GMAT scores, unless they choose to list them on their resume. Regardless, most poeple really don't care. I know that I would rather work in a group with someone who has an excellent personality and a 620 GMAT versus someone who is arrogant and has a 750. And it's really only the arrogant, snooty types that are going to care anyway - do you really want to associate with them in the first place?

To be straightforward though - it may be an achilles heal if you plan to recruit for investment banking or management consulting. If you plan to go for general management, entrepeneurship, marketing, any other track - noone is going to care either.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 16:25
raabenb wrote:
I love when I hear about people with lower marks hit the big schools! It shows determination and drive, and also gives hope to others out there.

I agree with you. It gives me hope. So to the OP, are you a 'normal' applicant who got into Haas? If so congrats!
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 19:04
I can only speak from my law school experience, but the other posters are correct...LSAT (and presumably GMAT) scores are only talked about by deuche (sp) bags. Not because the person is trying to impress people with their scores, it's more because the thinking is...well...your in school now, what have you done lately? I will be honest though, it always seems to come out...you'll have a convo that goes something like this "Ughh wow...that assignment was worse than taking the LSAT" "Hahah, ya totally...the LSAT was a killer" "Haha ya....what did ya get?". And of course if you don't answer...they only assume the worst. No matter how you slice it...people who go to professional school are competitive. Yes they may collaborate, be nice, helpful...but they also like to win. These people can't help but at least be slightly curious as to how they stack-up against their peers.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 19:43
To this day, I know the score of only 1 person in the whole class of 900, and that's because it's kinda of low (640ish) and he keeps bragging (jokingly) that he must be very accomplished to pull it off. In my experience, nobody cares, not even douchebags.

Actually think of it in another way: if you pulled it off without the 4.0 GPA, XXX school and 750+ GMAT aren't you more accomplished in other ways?

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1517 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 03:57
GMAT came up for like the first day on campus, thereafter it is never heard from again. No one will ever talk to you about your GPA either.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for all the replies. I read my post again and had a taaaad more emotion then I thought :wink:

Just need to take a deep breath. I'm staying as far away from consulting and anything outside the marketing divison of a bank, so I think I'm safe.

-zakk

Friend to hamsters, snowboard cruiser, first person ever to score a 12 on the GMAT, bad golfer, decent PR hack, all around nice guy.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 10:35
you'll be fine zakk, like everyone said, no one talks about GMAT/GPA in school. Very few people even talk about where else they got into and stuff like that. I've had experiences asking some current students which schools they had to decide between, and as they were telling me, their buddies were like, "What?! You got into HBS and Stanford and chose to go to Haas?" (ok, wishful exaggeration there :P)

If it makes you feel better, I'll ask your GPA and GMAT while we're in school, hahahaha. :lol:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2008, 08:05
zakk, just make sure you dont forget to buy some more tartar sauce on your way to berkely
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 10:02
Guys, aren't college GPA and GMAT (plus MBA GPA if your school uses grade disclosure) discussed constantly in the recruiting process?? All top finance and consulting (2 biggest post-MBA industries) firms plus a handful of other firms (i think Google, correct me if i'm wrong) asks for GPA and takes it into consideration when making interview offers.

So talking about it doesn't not mean they're douchbags. Like for me I will be constantly about talking my low GPA and asking ppl about it since i am concerned it will prevent me from getting interviews.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 10:25
I think the firms may ask you during an interview, but your fellow classmates won't really talk about it unless you freely offer your GPA to everyone :P

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 17:00
Google is big on grades and test scores - not saying thats all you need to get in, but they definitely receive more consideration at Google.
aceman626 wrote:
All top finance and consulting (2 biggest post-MBA industries) firms plus a handful of other firms (i think Google, correct me if i'm wrong) asks for GPA and takes it into consideration when making interview offers.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 20:17
ncprasad wrote:
Google is big on grades and test scores - not saying thats all you need to get in, but they definitely receive more consideration at Google.
aceman626 wrote:
All top finance and consulting (2 biggest post-MBA industries) firms plus a handful of other firms (i think Google, correct me if i'm wrong) asks for GPA and takes it into consideration when making interview offers.

Totally correct, and for some reason, they are particularly interested in undergrad grades. I had an interview with Google. Everything went swimmingly (perfect as far as I could tell) and the person I interviewed with actually told me she would try to get me through, but my undergrad grades might be a problem. I pointed out that my b-school grades well towards the top of our forced curve, but Google's focus was definitely on undergrad. I know that they used to have a 3.5 GPA minimum. I accepted a banking offer before their decision so I don't know if it would have worked out, but they definitely care about GPA. They aren't the only ones, but they are the company that everyone is interested in these days.

Many of the top banks and consulting firms will at least try to get a feel for grades, whether by asking directly (not allowed at some schools) or by probing other ways. Your fellow students will likely not ask you about GPA (any level) or GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 20:20
Also, I heard from someone in the know that Google has its own database of the top 10 schools in every country, mainly to assess internationals. Good luck getting in if you dont come from an internationally well known UG.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 23:22
interesting about Google. maybe I'll have a chance then? :P

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 00:40
If i was to apply for Google, I think my chances are dependent on my previous experience. Moreso because of Android, and my previous experiences of working in mobile OS's and mobile devices. Although having said that, google has recruited from my school before at the local level (Google China)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 01:22
zakk don't worry about it, you will just be fine.

ncprasad wrote:
Also, I heard from someone in the know that Google has its own database of the top 10 schools in every country, mainly to assess internationals. Good luck getting in if you dont come from an internationally well known UG.

Do they need to keep a database? I thought that if they needed they would just "google it" :lol:
At least I come from a top 3 in my country.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 13:07
I think someone said in another thread (in fact, it may have even been on the BW boards) that SAT scores are sometimes even required. That's nutty.
Re: I need some real advice here...B-school might be a mistake   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2008, 13:07