Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ABC
Schools: KELLOGG Class of 2012
WE 1: Manufacturing fortune 500, FRANCE
WE 2: Manufacturing fortune 500, (Netherlands, China)
WE 3: Engineering, Qatar
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21) [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 23:53
Hi guys,
I am going to take the take my GMAT on January 21st 2009. Because I am still in trouble with the verbal, I need your advices. I took GmatPrep 1 and 2, I got 620 twice with (V23 :shock: ). I went through the manhattan SC book and the princeton book, but I do not see a big improvement.
Anyway, I am looking for 680+ , therefore I need to improve my Verbal section score by about 15 points (V38). I have been doing tests but my verbal scores are not improving. I need some advice how to break it and see some improvement.
I plan to go through all the OG11, OG Verbal and Princeton Review (again) before the D Day. I used to get 60%-70% of correct answer in SC-RC-RC when I am doing paper exercises. But under test conditions, the verbal is a disaster.
Do you think that a focus on Official Guide and Princeton is enough to crack the verbal in 1week?
I am kind of frustrated :x . Please help!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ABC
Schools: KELLOGG Class of 2012
WE 1: Manufacturing fortune 500, FRANCE
WE 2: Manufacturing fortune 500, (Netherlands, China)
WE 3: Engineering, Qatar

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 08:19
:x
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 21:35
nselelr wrote:
:x

Forget the Quant Section when you start the Verbal. However good or bad it has been ignore it.

Take 2mins/ Q on your RC , approx 1.5 on SC. Try to complete your CR in less than 2 mins

Spend time with the initial 10 questions however easy or tough they look like. Verify the answers before moving ahead.

Donot keep repeating the same OG questions for practice.

Last week just work in your weak areas .

You can crack it. GMAT is as much a test of nerves as ability.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 06:52
I noticed a big improvement in RC when I started taking notes while reading the passage. The notes weren't long, or detailed, or even complete sentences. Since the passages are so dense, I would write a couple of words or phrases relating to what I was reading. Basically, sum up the paragraph (or where a natural paragraph would be if it were normal reading). I hardly ever needed to refer back to the notes to answer the questions, but the act of writing the ideas enabled me to organize the passage better in my head.

The downside to this (especially if English isn't your primary language) is that it adds a bit of time to answer the questions. It wasn't a problem for me, I didn't run out of time, but English is my primary language.

I improved SC through brute force--just mindless repetitive studying, to the point where I basically memorized all the answers OG11 and whatever else books I used. The answers explain "why" something is right or wrong, so if you read them enough, (and have a good memory) then you can get a handle on pretty much 80% of everything they may ask.

As for CR--Assuming that your English is well enough to fully comprehend the subtleties of the passage, one thing I suggest is to read biased material (newspaper editorial, opinion columnist, political writing, etc...) and look for flaws in the argument, or think of what might be needed to back the argument up. If someone has a bias, then they're probably going to leave information counter to their beliefs out of the writing, or "spin" the facts presented in their favor. Look for what isn't there.

Everyone is different, but this worked for me.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21) [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:33
For the CR I have tried the Power Score Bible which can be downloaded form the beatthegmat site. This provides a good understanding of the initiators for premises, conclusions and assumptions. Also solving the Kaplan 800 or the OG under timed conditions will help you get used to working under pressure. I am trying the same.

Hope this helps. All the best!
Re: I really need some Advices for Verbal (D.Day on January 21)   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2010, 14:33