Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I ve been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 702 [3] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I ve been [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

38% (01:58) correct 62% (01:09) wrong based on 217 sessions
I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I’ve been working at a company for two days and now realize that the company’s workers are mean-spirited and egotistical. I have decided that high paying companies have unfriendly employees.

Which of the following, if true, would weaken the above conclusion?

A. The work environment brings out the worst in people.
B. The company has 150,000 employees.
C. Salary is more important than work environment.
D. The benefits of the new job outweigh the unfriendly people.
E. Egotistical workers can often outperform less self-confident employees.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 09:11
Oops! I dont get the logic.. Only way of arriving at b is to negate the rest... as either strengthen or out of scope

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 702 [1] , given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
asax wrote:
Oops! I dont get the logic.. Only way of arriving at b is to negate the rest... as either strengthen or out of scope

Yeah, this one kicked my butt.
How many employees in a 150k employee pool do you expect to meet in 2 days? I gave out the explanation in the subject line :-D

Source:800Score

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
Since the person has been in the office for just 2 days and might have met a subset of total employees in the company, it is wrong to conclude that high paying companies have unfriendly employees.

A very good question. Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 286 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
+1 B

Because the author has been working just two days in that company, it is very likely that his or her sample is not representative.

What is the source of this question?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 299

Kudos [?]: 458 [6] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man here, but the reason for practice questions is so that they can help us out test day. Questions that are nothing like you will see on the test, especially in terms of the logic used, can only hurt you. This question fails on so many levels :(.

1) The GMAT does not sound like it was written by a whiny high school student.

2) The answers are the soul of the question. To do well on the GMAT you have to determine between carefully worded answers. Every answer in this question is out of scope (and (A) just sounds like a bad cliche :)).

3) The answer is silly. Basically, if you work for a really big company (150,000) you can't make any generalizations about its employees because there is no way you can meet that many people in two days.

The only reason I am saying all this is I want people to spend time on material that will help them, not hurt them :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 11:08
I agree completely with Chris - this is a really bad question. Not only is the writing awful, but the question makes no logical sense. The argument itself says "the company’s workers are mean-spirited and egotistical". If that's stated in the stem of a real GMAT question, then that is a *premise*. It cannot be wrong. So it makes no difference if the company employs 15 people or 150,000 people -- the question has told us that it is an absolutely true fact that the employees of this company are "mean-spirited and egotistical", no matter how many of them there are. So B is not the correct answer here.

The logical problem with the argument, if we accept its premises to be true, is that it draws a conclusion about *all* companies from this one company. So we should be looking for an answer choice which suggests a reason why this one company might be different from other companies. None of the answers really do that, but the only one I could even tenuously justify is A -- perhaps this company differs from others because it has a worse work environment. But the question is just so badly written to begin with that it's a pointless exercise trying to find a good answer.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2336 [0], given: 693

Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 11:26
Expert's post
I say far and wide what Chris said

Unfortunately on this and other boards nobody hears me. People seems more interested to do a bunch of practice questions BUt what is really important is to dissect the argument and really understand the situation.

You can even do 10 questions for type and score at the best.

Best Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: Overgeneralization [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 10:12
Legendaddy wrote:
I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I’ve been working at a company for two days and now realize that the company’s workers are mean-spirited and egotistical. I have decided that high paying companies have unfriendly employees.

Which of the following, if true, would weaken the above conclusion?

A. The work environment brings out the worst in people.
B. The company has 150,000 employees.
C. Salary is more important than work environment.
D. The benefits of the new job outweigh the unfriendly people.
E. Egotistical workers can often outperform less self-confident employees.

Although, I agree with the experts here, I'd just add my thoughts !

This is a typical sampling weakening question . The person has concluded that the company has unfriendly employees only on the basis of a subset of people.
Therefore, this subset does not represent all the workers.

Hence B.

You want something, go get it . Period !

SVP
SVP
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I ve been [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 07:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I ve been [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 23:53
Why doesnt the moderator delete such questions?
Re: I recently doubled my salary by taking a new job. I ve been   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2014, 23:53