Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 406
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 11:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers tend to be more reliable than those produced by United States manufacturers.
II. The average lifetime of room air conditioners produced by United States manufacturers is about fifteen years, the same as that of room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers.
Which one of the following, if true, would best reconcile the two statements above?
(A) Reliability is a measure of how long a product functions without needing repair.
(B) Production facilities of firms designated as United States manufacturers are not all located in the United States.
(C) Damage to room air conditioners during shipping and installation does not occur with great frequency in the United States or in Japan.
(D) Room air conditioners have been manufactured for a longer time in the United States than in Japan.
(E) Japanese manufacturers often use more reliable components in their room air conditioners than do United States manufacturers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Posts: 439
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR on air conditioners !!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 12:19
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers tend to be more reliable than those produced by United States manufacturers.
II. The average lifetime of room air conditioners produced by United States manufacturers is about fifteen years, the same as that of room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers.
Which one of the following, if true, would best reconcile the two statements above?
(A) Reliability is a measure of how long a product functions without needing repair.
(B) Production facilities of firms designated as United States manufacturers are not all located in the United States.
(C) Damage to room air conditioners during shipping and installation does not occur with great frequency in the United States or in Japan.
(D) Room air conditioners have been manufactured for a longer time in the United States than in Japan.
(E) Japanese manufacturers often use more reliable components in their room air conditioners than do United States manufacturers.


Tough one foe me

going for A...there is possibilty that AC produced in US need many repairs in 15 yrs.... only through this we can prove that AC produced in Japan are more reliable than AC produced in US
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 12:41
I am going for E.....this is basically asking us what the definition of reliable is...the 2 statements look incongruent because it is saying that reliable means lifetime of product, however choice E states that reliable is not just the lifetime, but reliable is the quality of the components as well.

Thus this combines both statements to work together. E
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 754
Location: Dallas, Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 13:04
A. Lifetime of US made and Japanese ACs can be same but US made ones may require more repairs during their lifetimes; therefore, A reconciles these two statements by defnining "reliability" in terms of less frequent repairs.
_________________

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 13:19
I am going for A. The only way I am able to reconcile the two is with the right definition of reliability.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 1176
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 00:00
A 2.

reliability is not the same as lifetime. A points out the difference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 361
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 16:28
tennis_ball wrote:
A 2.

reliability is not the same as lifetime. A points out the difference.



A
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 1026
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 23:05
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
A. Lifetime of US made and Japanese ACs can be same but US made ones may require more repairs during their lifetimes; therefore, A reconciles these two statements by defnining "reliability" in terms of less frequent repairs.


For the same reason A. But E is a deadly trap.
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 406
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 23:14
OA =A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Posts: 352
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 17:02
ak_idc wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
A. Lifetime of US made and Japanese ACs can be same but US made ones may require more repairs during their lifetimes; therefore, A reconciles these two statements by defnining "reliability" in terms of less frequent repairs.


For the same reason A. But E is a deadly trap.


Just wanted to point out that E is indeed a trap (in which I fell intially)... to reconcile (I) and (II), the answer choice has to deal with both reliability and lifetime, which A indeed does.
  [#permalink] 12 Jan 2007, 17:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers noboru 14 24 May 2010, 13:08
3 Japanese researchers are producing a series of robots that sondenso 7 06 May 2008, 20:29
An appliance store ells two sizes of air conditioners, an mophead 1 30 Oct 2005, 21:53
An appliance store sells two sizes of air conditioners, an qhoc0010 8 23 Feb 2005, 10:07
_______________, automobile manufacturers have produced more kok72 4 20 Oct 2004, 19:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.