Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [1] , given: 2

I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:59) correct 12% (01:27) wrong based on 4 sessions
I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers tend to be more reliable than those produced by United States manufacturers.
II. The average lifetime of room air conditioners produced by United States manufacturers is about fifteen years, the same as that of room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers.
Which one of the following, if true, would best reconcile the two statements above?
(A) Reliability is a measure of how long a product functions without needing repair.
(B) Production facilities of firms designated as United States manufacturers are not all located in the United States.
(C) Damage to room air conditioners during shipping and installation does not occur with great frequency in the United States or in Japan.
(D) Room air conditioners have been manufactured for a longer time in the United States than in Japan.
(E) Japanese manufacturers often use more reliable components in their room air conditioners than do United States manufacturers.

For me is between A and E.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:34
If A is true, then the first sentence of the stimulus is not true. We cannot deny the premisses.
E seems good to me.

OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 21:54
I would go with A,
I do not think simply because A is correct, stimulus 1 will not be true.
They still could be reliable, i.e having less repairs than American ones, and last 15 years as American ones.

Never give up,,,

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 22:51
E is god for me
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 10:05
I would pick (A).

The average lifetime of both US and Japanese air conditioners is 15 years. Now it is quite possible that US air conditioners might need more repairs in those 15 years compared to Japanese air conditioners which are pretty reliable.

So both lasts for 15 years but 1 needs more repairs than the other.

What is the OA?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 03:47
seekmba wrote:
I would pick (A).

The average lifetime of both US and Japanese air conditioners is 15 years. Now it is quite possible that US air conditioners might need more repairs in those 15 years compared to Japanese air conditioners which are pretty reliable.

What is the OA?

But you are assuming new things: US air conditioners have needed more repairs in those 15 years.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 05:04
My take is (E) .. Reasons stated above ..
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 12:28
noboru wrote:
seekmba wrote:
I would pick (A).

What is the OA?

But you are assuming new things: US air conditioners have needed more repairs in those 15 years.

Not assuming. I would say inferring.
Look. What you have to do here is reconcile both statements.
1. A/C from Japan are more reliable than A/C from US.
2. They both last 15 years.
If A is true, defining reliability by how long a product can function without a repair, not the complete lifetime, then you can infer that while both last 15 years (after some repairs), still Japanese A/C had the first repair later than the American ones. If you don't like the words 'more repairs', then you can think of when the first repair is needed. For example, A/C from both manufacturers in their 15 years of lifetime need only 1 repair. The Japanese ones need it in the 10th year, while the Americans need it in the 8th year.
Then both statements are in agreement: Japanese A/C are more reliable, and they both last 15 years.

On the other side, how is E reconciling both statements? By mentioning the components of the products? I don't think so.

A is the right answer for me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 14:24
For sure A...reconcile the statements to me means present unbiased statement to solve the issue on hand.

E does not do this. It provide another statement but its biased, however components can't explain why US air conditioners average lifteime is 15 years.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 18:56
A for me too
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 02:36
A is good. (1:17)

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: United States manufacturers. [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 05:22
IMO A.The imp point here is : "without needing repair".
What's the OA ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 21:24
A

Come on! Got it in 50 seconds. There is no way this question is at 700 level difficulty!

Combining statements 1 and 2, you get: The American product lasts as long as the Japanese one but the Japanese product is more reliable.

The word reliable means dependable. In this case, that means the ability to work when needed. This would mean no breakdowns or lesser breakdowns than the other product. Hence, A! Nothing else comes close to the answer.

Hope I was able to help.

Cheers
Govind
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 02:57
Did me in again! Such kind of questions are always tricky for me. I chose E, but now believe A is the right option. But does not it assume that Japanese ACs need less repair than US ones?

E uses 'often'. But it also inputs the words more reliable components than US. So, it tricked me into believing this is the right choice. Even though A defines the test of reliability, it does not explicitly proves Fact1. It might be that Japanese ACs need more repairs,, but that is our assumption. Huh! CR is tough!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 02:57
Did me in again! Such kind of questions are always tricky for me. I chose E, but now believe A is the right option. But does not it assume that Japanese ACs need less repair than US ones?

E uses 'often'. But it also inputs the words more reliable components than US. So, it tricked me into believing this is the right choice. Even though A defines the test of reliability, it does not explicitly proves Fact1. It might be that Japanese ACs need more repairs,, but that is our assumption. Huh! CR is tough!
Re: I. Room air conditioners produced by Japanese manufacturers   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2014, 02:57