Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I seem to have hit a plateu in the quant section and I need

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I seem to have hit a plateu in the quant section and I need [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 04:46
I seem to have hit a plateu in the quant section and I need some help. I'm doing pretty well in the OG (about 8/10 or 9/10 correct), but on practice tests I always do poorly on quat (70th percentile or so). I have taken 7 of the challenges, but I'm usually around the 50th percentile. I've got the verbal pretty well down (around 97th percentile right now), so I'm trying really hard to get better at the math. I'm an engineer, so this is really frustrating! I have been going back through the old challenges and really trying to learn from my mistakes, but I keep doing about the same. Any advice/tips/encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Identifying [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 10:58
Hi Chad

I guess this site can be pretty brutal huh :) Only 12 hits and no solutions???

Here's what I suggest:

- Identify your weakest points and areas

- Drill down what you need to get better in those.

Infact if you specify what are your weakest areas, am sure people on this site could point you in the right direction.

Chin up, and relax!
MG
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 23:11
I do believe that you do not have a lot to worry about .

Your verbal score will boost your total percentile to the 700+ if you just reached the 80 percentile in quant..........Some old friends here ( Dahiya and Kevincan) Gave me one advice is to solve as much as you can.

do not just solve it but analyse why you get your answers right and why others you get wrong and try to understand the underlying concepts.

Do not worry and do not make this gmat test pull you down.

Take a couple of days off and get back with a cleare mind. a beer and a beach will do you great.

:wink:
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 00:21
The first step to do better in quant is to get the basics strong. Tricks will help you only if you know the basics. GMAT tests few concepts in infinite ways. I would suggest this:

1. Identify your weak areas ( Like geometry, number properties etc.)
2. Indentify your strong areas.
3. Work on basics of weak areas WITHOUT IGNORING your strong areas. If you have time then you may use MGMAT math books. (I have not used them, so can't say how useful these will be).
4. Always do problems in timed environment. I am sure most of the peopel can solve most of the problems if time restrictions were not there.
5. Do not spend TOO much time, as people do, on probability. GMAT will ask you only simple, but tricky, probability.

And now comes the most improtant: PRACTICE
. Math is gonna kill you if you are out of touch for a week or so.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

[#permalink] 30 Aug 2006, 00:21