Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I seriously need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I seriously need some advice [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 15:01
So I've been preparing for the GMAT more or less constantly over the past nine months. During that time I worked through all of the MGMAT guides and did every single question in the OG including reading all the answer explanations. I took an initial diagnostic test before actually starting to study and scored a 580 (Q43,V28). So far so good, I was thinking that an above-average score without preparation is not that bad and having in mind that an improvement between 100 and 150 would be doable with a decent preparation according to bb, this is acceptable.

On the way I had serious motivational issues just because of the huge amount of material and I wanted to keep the other simulated tests till the end when I've covered every area of the GMAT. Often times it was more working in a delirium because my progress was so slow. Although I don't have an overview of how much time I spend preparing, I would estimate it to be somewhere between 300 and 400 hours. Ridiculous. A total overkill.

Just by the end of last week I was done with the material - finally - and excited to see if my studying was of any use. So I started with one of the MGMATs and scored a 670 (Q45,V36) and in the first place I was really disappointed because if you read a couple of the debriefs and experiences in this forum, you'd expect the average to be at least 700 and that everyone is actually able to score 700+ with an appropriate preparation, no matter what your mental capabilities are. I was hoping that the following test might be better, just because I would've been used to the test setting by then. I scored a 690 (Q46,V38), which was quite close to my actual goal and I was already happy, although I would be at the far lower end in the debrief section of this forum. After reviewing the questions, I was ready to take the next one and got back to the 670 (Q45,V36), yet blamed it on being tired when I took it.

My next great idea was to take the GMAT prep tests again and this is where my GMAT story begins to worsen. I was hoping to finally crack the 700, as virtually everyone here scores higher on the GMAT prep tests as on the MGMAT tests. Already during the test I felt that the verbal part was way harder that the MGMAT equivalent and I had lots of trouble with the timing. The score screen showed up and it was a 650 (Q48,V32). My state of disappointment reached a new level and I was puzzled as to how I would score a lot higher on the MGMAT tests. So I decided to take another GMAT prep today to see if it was maybe just an accident and I would return to my 670-690 range not expecting to score higher like it seems to be normal. I just finished the test and now it's not just disappointment, I'm rather devastated. It's been a 620 (Q42,V34). So my quant score dropped actually below the level before I started reading those gazillions of pages. I don't know what it is with me and the GMAT prep, I'll try to do another MGMAT test to see if I would start to climb up the ranks again or maybe it's just that 4 tests within one week were too much and I'm burned out or something. I also noticed that I've trouble reading as fast in the GMAT prep as in the MGMAT tests. I don't know what the reason could be.

I was actually planning on taking the real one next week, but considering where I'm at now that's not realistic anymore. I don't know what else to do. I pretty much did everything: timed every single OG question, have an error log, tried to grasp the concepts as much as possible, but it still doesn't work for me. I really think most of the people in here are real geniuses, even those who pretend not to be.

Well, any advice is welcome because I don't know what to do next and if I would score a 620 or even 650 on the real test, then this whole drudgery would've been in vain and I could've done lots of more entertaining or productive things the last couple of months.

Cheers.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: I seriously need some advice [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 20:04
hey Selines
dont get disappointed..take a break..maybe you are pushing yourself too hard.. take some time and analyze why your scores dropped in the first place? analyze your error log and see what was the actual issue? it is the concept or that you are not able to do it in time. I am sure you will be able to do it.. But dont give your gmat till you get good scores in your tests. I was scoring 670,700 in my tests but I was devastated in my gmat..scored 640 (Q49,V28).I prepared only for a month. I am preparing again and want to give it by mid oct.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: I seriously need some advice [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 18:12
Anxiety can be the ruin of many people in similar situations.

Are you keeping an error log?
Any issues with timing?

You're very close. You really need to work out the "small" things to break the 700 barrier. It is achievable.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I seriously need some advice [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 07:34
I have an error log, but I didn't attempt the wrong questions one more time. I just jotted down notes on what to look for in similar questions to get them right.

Maybe doing all those wrong answered questions again would be a good start to improve my score. Considering that my quant is around 46 and my verbal around 36, it might be a good idea to focus more on the verbal part, as I see room for improvement there. Additionally, considering the imbalance of the two parts, one point improvement in verbal would be more beneficial than one point more in quant.

I read in another post that taking one simulated test per week should be considered the maximum. So my recent drop in scores can probably be attributed to the fact that I took 5 tests that week. After taking the test, I analyzed it on the same day, so basically I spent the whole day on the GMAT for a couple of days. That was probably too much for me and it worked for the first 3 of them, but then started to drag me down into depths of bad scores.

I scheduled an appointment in two weeks and during that time I was planning on doing two more tests plus analyzing them. Besides that focusing on my error log and doing all the CR and SC questions that I got wrong in the first place would be a good idea. Though, very strange is that I have absolutely no trouble with the MGMAT RCs and get them right almost all the time. However, on the GMAT prep I get a lot of them wrong and often times I don't even get what the passage wants to tell me. Are they harder on the real test, respectively on the GMAT prep?
Re: I seriously need some advice   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2011, 07:34