Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency
Schools:BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Concentration: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Re: I study cr collection of gmatprep, and see that there are 3 [#permalink]
AdamKnewton wrote:
I agree that these kinds of tricks do not appear on medium-level questions. In fact, most low- to medium-level questions can be answered with "common sense" by native English speakers with a pretty good degree of accuracy; as you point out, for non-native speakers, improving efficiency and clarity in reading is key, and being able to summarize the argument is key, too.

However, the challenge of the GMAT is that, as you get better, so do the questions, SO even those who are not shooting for 700+ will see trickier questions on test day, questions which belie the common-sense approach and lead us into traps such as the above you mentioned. Here's the overall idea I'd keep in mind, that works on easier AND harder questions alike:

The GMAT is always asking about the Argument in A/S/W/F questions, NOT about the Conclusion. On easier questions, the right answer in, say, a Weakener question will simply be something that means "The conclusion is wrong" or "The prediction will not come true" or something. However, as questions get harder, this approach doesn't work, because just to argue that the Conclusion or Evidence is false doesn't really Weaken the Argument. To Weaken the Argument, pretend that the conclusion is always actually this sentence:

"The evidence I've given here is sufficient, all on its own, to prove my point."

Every author is really saying this, and it's THIS sentence that we have to weaken/strengthen on the GMAT. If we're always focused on this idea instead of on arguing for/against the Conclusion, we can develop a consistent approach that works on all difficulty levels.

Furthermore, I'm personally less about identifying trap answers and more about learning how to prephrase right answers. Yes, common traps are nice to know, but the best test-takers aren't tempted by them because they predict and find the Right Answer quickly through a solid understanding of what the GMAT is looking for in CR, as well as in RC (and, of course, in all Quant questions).

So if we pretend that the conclusion is "The evidence I've given here is sufficient, all on its own, to prove my point."
We have to look for an option that says that the evidence is not sufficient for a weaken question
And a Strengthen question, an option that says that the evidence is not sufficient to reach the Main Point
But what technique should we use for an Assumption Question ?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
AdamKnewton wrote:
An Assumption will say "The evidence given IS relevant to the conclusion [not necessarily sufficient, actually, but it will tend in that direction]."

A Strengthener will say "The evidence given is probably more relevant to the conclusion than it was in the original argument [but it doesn't always prove the argument totally solid]."

A Weakener will say "The evidence given is more or less irrelevant and doesn't prove what the author thinks it proves [but it's still possible the conclusion is valid for some unknown reason; really we just can't know from the given evidence]."

Sorry those sentences aren't the simplest-worded, but, if it were simple, it wouldn't be the GMAT :)

Thanks adam for the Guidance.This seems to suggest that CR on the GMAT is no longer straightforward but more vague , tricky and difficult
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What does A and F stand for? and How does their conclusion work? and what's the thinking process for this type of question
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts