Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I think I did this all backwards, now what?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Construction (Fence Building)
WE 3: Traveler (Various jobs while backpacking for 2 years)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I think I did this all backwards, now what? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:39
Hey all,

So, I am now about to enter my MBA, and I don't know where I want to be at the end of it all. I went from "Career Accelerator" to possible "Career Changer" in a few short weeks. Here is the quick version of how I set out to get better at my job and ended up quitting 3 months later.

I am a currently a Commercial Banker. In January I was looking at my job performance and I decided that I needed to improve my financial statement analysis skills in order to reach my goals. I started looking into taking an accounting or finance class. In February I spoke with a college who is entering an MBA program in September, this conversation inspired me to look into the part time programs available to me. I wrote a practice GMAT and scored a 730 (this was a pleasant surprise!). I studied for a few weeks and ultimately scored a 760 on the real deal. I then applied to the two part time options in my area (University of Alberta and the Queen's Accelerated MBA) with the intention of growing in my current position while improving my education.

While waiting to hear back from these two programs, I was receiving the normal mail from every program that was willing to take $100,000 in tuition. Included in these letters was one from Notre Dame. What caught my eye was a hand written note saying that they hoped I would call with any questions. I did a little research (also pictured myself at the football and basketball games) and decided that I should apply and see what happened... what happened was a full ride scholarship offer!

I am not one to turn down an opportunity like this, so now I have quit my job and I need a plan. I know that I can come back to commercial banking when I am done. And, I know that the bank I work at would give me a good position if I return. But, this seems like the appropriate time to look into other options. I have always thought that I would like to work in consulting, so for now my plan is to seek a consulting gig with the knowledge that I can return to lending if it is not all I thought it would be.

Does anyone have an opinion about the prospects in the two fields?

Does anyone have advice on where I should be looking for a consulting opportunity?

Does anyone have a suggestion on another good career option given my experience and upcoming education?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I have a plan for now, but I want to be sure that I take full advantage of this opportunity (speaking of which, I am holding out hope that there will be an NFL and NBA over the next two years as this is my first chance to attend games regularly).

Thanks guys and gals!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: I think I did this all backwards, now what? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 10:38
Notre Dame, huh? if you want to see some real college football it isn't that far to drive to Purdue or (even) Ann Arbour.

I am not too knowledgable on the recruitment links ND has, but its alum base as a college would suggest - to me - that there will certainly be some opportunities in consulting through on campus recruiting. That, plus the fact your GMAT is strong, though your applicable industry experience that they sometimes like may be lacking. That isn't a negative, btw, just the lack of a potential positive.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: I think I did this all backwards, now what? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 09:50
Go for the free tuition. Having no debt gives you options to pursue your passion post-MBA.
Re: I think I did this all backwards, now what?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2011, 09:50