Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I think I have "hit a wall"...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
I think I have "hit a wall"... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 07:34
I have been prepping intensely for about 2.5 months. My test day is August 6th. I think yesterday, my brain just gave out. I was taking a GMAT challenge and at about question 30, I could no longer concentrate and just gave up on the last few questions. I got up this morning and my brain feels exhausted after 8 hours of sleep. I am sitting at work and can't concentrate at all.

Did anyone else run into this problem. Should I take time off? How long? I am sooo close and do not want to slow down, but I feel that I need to.

Last edited by lanter1 on 17 Jul 2007, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 07:36
if youve been studying for 2.5 months i think you can afford to give yourself a week off. you will still have 3 weeks till your test.

good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: I think I have "hit a wall"... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 15:01
lanter1 wrote:
I have been prepping intensely for about 2.5 months. My test day is August 6th. I think yesterday, my brain just gave out. I was taking a GMAT challenge and at about question 30, I could no longer concentrate and just gave up on the last few questions. I got up this morning and my brain feels exhausted after 8 hours of sleep. I am sitting at work and can't concentrate at all.

Did anyone else run into this problem. Should I take time off? How long? I am sooo close and do not want to slow down, but I feel that I need to.

how did you do on that challenge? If you got a good score, take a few days, even a week off. If your score wasn't so hot... take a day or two off and don't think about GMAT. dont visit this website. just chill.

I am experiencing similar burn out. I know it is hard to take a step back. Personally, I hate the thought of not putting in 110%. But at somepoint you just need to chill...
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 15:26
Hey, it happended to me also. I took a weekend off ( generally weekends for me are the most productive in terms of studying) and went on for a movie, shopping, eating out with my wife and by Monday i was feeling lot better. I have done like this on couple of weekends, once every month

I wont suggest you to take a week off or so as your date is nearer, what you can do is take couple of days off and restart. You will feel rejuvenated. Take a break, watch some cool movies, hang out with your friends ( which you have already missed a lot due to GMAT prep) , go for the near by pub and have a drink (not much :)) ; Just chill out for a day or two and you should be fine.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 15:43
Thanks for the advice. I was doing well on the challenge (79% even with quitting) until i completely lost concentration. I guess my problem is wanting to make sure I have every aspect covered.

I am going out with my wife tonight to play some trivia-can't escape using your brain completely-and have a few beers. Hopefully, this will take my mind off GMAT and I will be ready to study again on thursday.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 03:41
Thats cool.. Have a wonderful time and come back with a bang :)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 05:39
Take a break, dont burn yourself out. GMAT is a test of stamina as much as it is a test of knowledge. Make sure you save enough energy for the test.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 07:06
Happens to the best of us. That is why most people will recommend that you prep intensely for a short burst, maybe 8-10 weeks rather than prep for 10 months.

Take a week, maybe two and come back intensely.
  [#permalink] 18 Jul 2007, 07:06