Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I think the GMAT authors made a mistake on the following

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

I think the GMAT authors made a mistake on the following [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 18:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:26) correct 14% (00:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
I think the GMAT authors made a mistake on the following question:

Kuru, one of the strangest and most insidious of the diseases known, is no longer a major problem in New Guinea.

(A) of the diseases known
(B) of the diseases to be known
(C) of the diseases that is known
(D) known of the diseases
(E) diseases known

Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(E)

No, I did not post the problem incorrectly. Only the words "of the diseases" were underlined in the question.

My Problem with the Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The official answer would make the sentence sound better if the word "known" was also underlined in the "question". However it wasn't. And according to the official answer, the best sentence reads: "Kuru, one of the strangest and most insidious diseases known known, is no longer a major problem in New Guinea."

What do you think?

Additional info on the problem
Source: Paper Test
Test Code 42
Section 5
Question # 22
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 04:50
niheil wrote:
I think the GMAT authors made a mistake on the following question:

Kuru, one of the strangest and most insidious of the diseases known, is no longer a major problem in New Guinea.

(A) of the diseases known
(B) of the diseases to be known
(C) of the diseases that is known
(D) known of the diseases
(E) diseases known

Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(E)

No, I did not post the problem incorrectly. Only the words "of the diseases" were underlined in the question.

My Problem with the Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The official answer would make the sentence sound better if the word "known" was also underlined in the "question". However it wasn't. And according to the official answer, the best sentence reads: "Kuru, one of the strangest and most insidious diseases known known, is no longer a major problem in New Guinea."

What do you think?

Additional info on the problem
Source: Paper Test
Test Code 42
Section 5
Question # 22

This is more of a publishing error than an error in the question. This happens on their printed stuff. I believe I found one or two on the Official GMAT guides.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 06:24
Your answer (A) has "known" written in it, so unless you added this yourself, it looks like "known" is supposed to be underlined. In either case, I think it's pretty clear that it's supposed to be, so I wouldn't fret too much about this if it happened on the real exam.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:43
lagomez and TehJay, both of you seem to suggest that this error is not a big deal.

I think this error is a big deal. Because of this error, none of the answers are "really good". I ended choosing the only answer that does not result in the repetition of the word "known" (answer D), and as a result I got the question wrong.

What's more disturbing about this error is that the GMAT authors didn't remove the question while grading. I've seen them do that in another question on a different paper test.

I think if anything, what I take from my experience with this error is that there's a possibility that the GMAT authors can make 1 or 2 errors in the entire test. I may want to review the test after the results come out. That's what I take from this experience.

And TehJay, I reposted the question exactly the way it was presented.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:26
niheil wrote:
lagomez and TehJay, both of you seem to suggest that this error is not a big deal.

I think this error is a big deal. Because of this error, none of the answers are "really good". I ended choosing the only answer that does not result in the repetition of the word "known" (answer D), and as a result I got the question wrong.

What's more disturbing about this error is that the GMAT authors didn't remove the question while grading. I've seen them do that in another question on a different paper test.

I think if anything, what I take from my experience with this error is that there's a possibility that the GMAT authors can make 1 or 2 errors in the entire test. I may want to review the test after the results come out. That's what I take from this experience.

I wouldn't worry about it too much on test day. Worrying about it will distract you during the exam. You won't be able to review the test anyway. You would have put in a complain in writing and they would research the issue.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:36
niheil wrote:

Answer (A) is always identical to the underlined portion of the sentence. Answer (A) has the word "known" in it. That, combined with the fact that all of the other answers also repeat "known", should be enough for you to determine that it's an underlining error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:53
All the answer choices have the word KNOWN in them. Don't fret over this, just focus on your preparation :)

All things are possible to those who believe.

Re: GMAT Authors Make Mistake on this Question?   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 13:53