Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I thought I'd post my introduction here...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I thought I'd post my introduction here... [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 19:00
Hi Everyone!

Just discovered this site and imagine it will be a great source of information and mutual support for the journey into B-school to come.

I don't have much of an "official profile" so far, but here's a bit about me: I'm 23, and I graduated from Bentley College in 2006 with a 3.3 GPA in Finance. I interned over the summer to boost my resume before taking a position at a healthcare firm as a Financial Analyst.

In my current position, I consolidate financial statements for reporting to our parent company (in Germany) and your typical month/quarter/year-end work, reconciliations, audits, etc. Cost/profit center support, pretty basic, entry level stuff.

I'd like to get a start on planning out my B-school app process and am just wondering where I should start and what I need to be doing now to become more competitive. I know my GPA is so-so and my undergrad school is also so-so, thus I'm relying on my work experience to make me stand out as a candidate...too bad I'm only on my first job, and this position doesn't really provide many "leadership opportunities".

I'm a bit overwhelmed, anxious, and afraid right now...just don't know what my first step should be, or how to optimize my environments.

My goal is to be in B-school within 2 years. I'd like to get into either Babson, BU, BC, or dare I say it- NYU. While a 3.3 GPA is on the low side, I think a great GMAT and work experience would help me through.

Can anybody give me some tips/advice as to what I need to do NOW, and in the not-too-distant future, i.e., 6-12 months?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 13:01
Expert's post
I wouldn't stress about your GPA too much. As long as the trend wasn't bad (i.e., as long as your GPA didn't get progressively worse over four years) and as long as you got at least B's in stats, calc, and accounting-type classes, you should be okay.

Definitely the key for you will be to gain some leadership experiences over the next couple of years, both on the job and outside of it. Don't feel a need t ochange jobs just for the sake of doing so, although if changing jobs gives you the chance to lead teams or somehow otherwise gain leadership experience, then consider doing so. Also, think about how to demonstrate leadership outside of work -- e.g., community service. Don't just participate in these things; you actually want to take on a leadership role if you can.

That will be the best way to help yourself. Good luck!

Scott