Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 07:58
Hi,

Yesterday I took GMAT and even though during the last week I took 3 CATs from Manhattan, Kaplan and GMATprep and in all of them my verbal scores were between 31 to 37, I got v 21 in the real exam which was really shocking and devastating.

In fact, I have never gotten below score 28 in verbal since the last 8 months and over 13 CATs. So, I have no idea what happened.

I got IR 6 and Q 47 and when I was answering verbal questions I thought the exam was going well because I got one bold face question in the middle of the exam which was really tough. I didn`t have any problem with time and tiredness.

Is there somebody who has similar experience? Please help me...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [1] , given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about this.

It happens sometimes. A glitch. You got a few questions wrong early on and it just sent you in a spiral down.
Another reason could be if you have seen some of the practice questoins on your practice tests before. Even a handful will be helpful in inflating the score....

I would book an appointment again with 30 days and retake. Chances are you will get the score you want.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Re: I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 11:00
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about this.

It happens sometimes. A glitch. You got a few questions wrong early on and it just sent you in a spiral down.
Another reason could be if you have seen some of the practice questoins on your practice tests before. Even a handful will be helpful in inflating the score....

I would book an appointment again with 30 days and retake. Chances are you will get the score you want.

Dear bb,

I`m really glad that you answered me. I always follow you in this forum and thanks to your help I have been able to get improved in GMAT.

To respond to your reply, I should say I never face questions which I faced them before in my previous CATs, so I probably answered some early questions incorrectly and it went me down.

I read if-then scenario about scores in GMATClub; however, in one of my GMATprep CATs, I had just 4 incorrect answers which were not consecutive in the first 21 questions of verbal and then 11 incorrect questions between questions 22-41 but the result was V 28 whereas I thought it must have been more.

When I took the first CAT of GMATprep pack 1, I got V 36 however my incorrect answers were throughout the test, so after that experience I tried to pay attention to all questions equally. After getting V 21 in the real exam, I confess I was mistaken.

bb since you are really expert in GMAT I have 3 questions from you:

1- What is your suggestion so I can improve my verbal score? although I always got score above 30 in my CATs, I never got 39-40. I bought the whole package of e-gmat, its SC course was great but its CR course did not improve my CR. my weakest point in verbal now is CR and I could answered such questions between 50%-65% accuracy. How can I improve it? and what I do so I don`t face the problem that I got in the real exam, reducing my score to V21.

2- Even though I got Q 47 in the exam, I`m not satisfied with my Q score. in order to get a 700+ score, I know that my Q score should be at least 49.
before taking the exam, I read MGMAT math books, Bible math books, GMAT Club math book several times and I did all of their tests. Even I read MGMAT advanced math book 2 times but did not read last chapters which include challenge questions. The first 5 questions of the real exam were really tough that I could not understand what they asked exactly.My first and second question were not 500 or 600 level but they were really 700 level.
What`s your recommendation, I have already read an article from you about how to rise our score from Q 45 to Q 50. To be honest, I think I did all of those factors which you mentioned.

3- I have already taken 5 of 6 MGMAT CATs, 4 GMATprep CATs, 1 free Veritas, 1 free Kaplan, 1 free Economist and 5 80oscore CATs in addition to 3 Verbal GMATClub tests and about 8 quantitative ones. Do you recommend buying more CATs from Veritas, GMATpill since I want to retake exam or resting previous CATs and reusing them?

I live in an underdeveloped country and thank you for help, support and sympathy.
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 01:12
Expert's post
@hamidax

Sorry to hear from your bad experience.

However, this is really common because many students perform weak under pressure when taking the GMAT for the first time.

You should not give up but be even more motivated because of this result. Learn even harder and even more and success will come.

The best thing you can do from here is taking a GMAT prep option with a score improvement guarantee - by that you have nothing to lose but your time (at least no money!)

Please visit the following link to get more information about our 60+ hours on demand video course that covers all GMAT concepts from A-Z and is especially well suited for non-natives:

http://optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course

Please be aware that gmatclub users get a $200 discount! As you can see in the comparison table we have the best offer among all online course providers!

Feel free to contact our live chat if you have any questions!

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Re: I took GMAT yesterday and got a shocking verbal score   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2014, 01:12