Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640::

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 07:14
hi everyone!

I know there is a lot of people in a need of some help so i will be pretty brief.

I started preparing 6 weeks ago and first I went over Cracking the GMAT by Princeton to get the feel for it. Afterwards I started working on practices from OG12 and to improve my math i used GMAT Bible from Nova. At the very end i used MGMAT math books but i didnt get to do all the problems, only revied and did selected parts of it. To prepare for English I used MGMAT SC book. My critical reasoning is solid and since english is my second language reading comprehension is a hit or miss. I also did a couple of Kaplan CAT test and i scored 560.

Taking the test I found math to be little to easy and i also ran out of time at the end. Again I got stuck on some questions for too long, most likely anwsered the wrong (that was the first question i think) and got easier questions. Math score 39

English was a killer. I never have a good sense whether I am doing good or bad, but clearly score of 23 says it all. I could be quesing is all that i know :)

My question is hot to get English down? People have done it and i dont feel i cant do it too! I can devote 4 hours a day and even more on weekends(i would like to take the test in the next 5-6 weeks) When I am working on english i never know if I am doing any progress or not. (i feel I can get the math down with more drills, but I seriously need to improve my English score)
I would like to know how to approach English part of GMAT better. When Im studying at home what should i be doing. Unfortunately we dont have any tutors in our country. Has anyone tried online tutors, who do you reccomend and how that worked out?

To achieve a score or 640 and if I improve my math to 45 where should my english score be?

Thank you,

Aljaž

p.s. I enjoye doing daily problems with you all!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 07:30
For a quant score of 45, a verbal score of 36 will give you a 650 :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
I can say for sure get your Maths in line with English score. Though English is an actual killer for everyone, but dont keep any stone unturned for Maths as well.

Another important tip I can give is that take 2 hours stretches of undisturbed study patches. I will help you to build up stamina and also plan you accordingly.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
I would say for english, go through verbal forum here and do more and more practice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 23:59
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you guys!

I bought GMAT Club Grammar book and i will go over MGMAT SC again....now i have 6 more weeks to get ready. Verbal will be my focus, while i will cover all MGMAT Math books to improve on math as well!

I am starting today :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
Verbal is really hard for me also. I suppose it would be easier if we were english speakers.
I like RC99 for RC... It has easy, medium and hard passages.
I'm sure we can achieve it! :-D
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 08:51
I love the spirit here :D

Kudos to all of you all! :D

Yes... We can do it! ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640:: [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 09:03
I found that reading and critiquing/analyzing news editorials in the manner you'd do to a CR question helped me a lot for verbal. It also doubled as prep for the AWA.

All the best, you can do it!
Re: i took the GMAT and I want to do better!!! 510 goal ::640::   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2011, 09:03