Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 10:08
YES, I TOOK GMAT 6 TIMES

YES, I STUDIED FOR EACH TIME HARD

YES, I FAILED ALL 6 TIMES

I really don't know what to do now.
Sorry, i don't want to be too dramatical here and this is my first post, but i read this forum a lot and i am just so upset that i can't beat the test.
I dont remember all my scores in the order, but my best score was 540 and the lowest 510
I took Kaplan class course, I thought I improved but , apprently that was a waste of time. Everytime i took a CAT test on Kaplan website i would always score in the 600's
Than I took GMATPrep test (2 of them) about 8 times and everytime i would score from 560- 700, mostly in 640's (but i guess that was b/c some questions would repeat) (also it seems like everytime i would get around 14 questions wrong on both sections but the score would still increase, does it matter?)
Anyway, I went to take the test today , very confident , thinking that i would score at least 600, but again 530!!
My english improved, but math went down!!!! I am even thinking of calling GMAT and asking them how come i score so low when on my prep test i score much higher ( and believe me i studies a lot from prep - i memorized every idiom out there). I am also thinking asking them if they cant send me a print out of my test or recheck it manually. Do you think they can do that?
I just can't understand WHY i can't do well on actual test, and yes, dont say maybe graduate school is not for you, IT IS FOR ME!!!!!!! (p.s. my work requires me to go to school, they will even pay) and yes, English is not my first language, russian is,...... i guess i am looking for a word of advice on what to do now, private tutor good idea???
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 31

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 11:02
netakay wrote:
YES, I TOOK GMAT 6 TIMES

Sorry, i don't want to be too dramatical here and this is my first post, but i read this forum a lot and i am just so upset that i can't beat the test.
I dont remember all my scores in the order, but my best score was 540 and the lowest 510
I took Kaplan class course, I thought I improved but , apprently that was a waste of time. Everytime i took a CAT test on Kaplan website i would always score in the 600's
Than I took GMATPrep test (2 of them) about 8 times and everytime i would score from 560- 700, mostly in 640's (but i guess that was b/c some questions would repeat) (also it seems like everytime i would get around 14 questions wrong on both sections but the score would still increase, does it matter?)
Anyway, I went to take the test today , very confident , thinking that i would score at least 600, but again 530!!
My english improved, but math went down!!!! I am even thinking of calling GMAT and asking them how come i score so low when on my prep test i score much higher ( and believe me i studies a lot from prep - i memorized every idiom out there). I am also thinking asking them if they cant send me a print out of my test or recheck it manually. Do you think they can do that?
I just can't understand WHY i can't do well on actual test, and yes, dont say maybe graduate school is not for you, IT IS FOR ME!!!!!!! (p.s. my work requires me to go to school, they will even pay) and yes, English is not my first language, russian is,...... i guess i am looking for a word of advice on what to do now, private tutor good idea???

Try the Knewton course. They have a 50 point guarantee and it will be much less expensive than a private tutor. Send me a message offline and I'll be happy to talk to you about it.

But aside from that, there is no point in calling the GMAC. They explicitly make no guarantees regarding the GMAT prep and the actual GMAT exam. The whole thing would be a waste of time.

If graduate school is for you then keep trying. Ultimately, not only does it come down to knowing the fundamentals, but also extracting the fundamentals from a question. Also, you have to make sure you practice as you do on the test. Go through the AWA questions, quant, 8 minute breaks, verbal.

You can improve, but you probably need a different way of approaching problems. I took a course as well and my score went down. I took another course and my score went up. So it's not that one is bad and one is good, the second course is just better for my style of learning.

Hang in there. But, approach the next exam like it's going to be your last.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 12:32
sorry to hear this but we probably need a few new things to help.

1. How long in between tests have you been studying? it seems to be short if you have take it 6 times?
2. have you used error logs at all? at least get a feel of what section gives you the most problems.
3. any score breakdowns - quant/verbal ranges?
4. your study material - have you been using the OG and MGMAT guides?
5. your goal.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 15:30
:shock: WOW
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Real estate investment consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 12:24
netakay

As long as you do not give up, you'll do well.

There are a lot of blanks in your story, so, as people correctly say here, one needs to know more about your story apart from the facts you described to suggest you something more meaningful than "work harder" :)

To make a long story short - I will be happy to speak to you over the phone and give some pieces of advice (I am not a professional, just want to help a fellow countryman). I am in Kiev. PM me and I will send you my number.

Cheers!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 12:29
It seems like you are going in circles... But as said above, more information is needed.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 7

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 01:07
This post received
KUDOS
just remember one quote --
if you do what you have always done , you will get what u hv always got ..to get different , work differently ..
i think u need to ponder on your approach to gmat and may be this is the time to change your study pattern radically .

"CEO in making"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:25
I think the classes that you’re taking don’t help.

My take on this is to approaches it less like a test, but rather a little questioner on all the fundamentals that you've gathered throughout your life.

The classes that you take are sometimes designed for people to score 800 on the test, but that's obviously not what you're trying to achieve. You just want a decent score to get into a decent school.
My best advice would be to change your attitude towards it. Stop seeing it as a test.
Try to look at the logic section as a court case, where you’re a lawyer trying to argue your point. What would you say to best cover your position and not leave any loop holes for your opponent to exploit?
Try to look at the quantitative section as you trying to solve a problem through your own reasoning, rather than using different types of formulas and methodologies that are given to you by your instructors. Instead of seeing a question and trying to remember an example that you’ve done in class or your practices, try to see every question as a problem that you’ve never encountered before and solve it through the fundamental knowledge that you know.
Approach the English section as everyday life. You know the basic grammar rules on what’s wrong and wrong, use and follow them. Forget the strategies that you’ve been taught in class and simply treat it as everyday life. What’s the simplest form of communicating a point?

It seems like that you’ve been trying very hard and it hasn’t been working. Maybe it’s time to take a new approach. The points that I’ve made above underlines how I’ve approached the GMAT and I was able to attain a score that’s higher than my target with next to no studying (comparatively of course). I had to come across as bragging and that’s not my intention but using myself as an example, I had spent no more than 25 hours studying for this exam, and that’s including going to classes.
So anyways, good luck and hope what I’ve said here helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 15:24
I think this guy is a spammer he/she hasn't responded to this thread.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 07:44
Hi,
What is the part of the exame in which you had more problems?

If its Math I would strongly advise you to purchase the 5 Manhattan books... Back in October last year I was a complete zero in Math (couldn't even get past the third question of the GMATPrep test 1, after 20 minutes...), and yeasterday I had q49 on the real GMAT exam.

Manhattan explains very well all the topics that appear in the test, from the most basic to the most advanced ones... and their exercises (especially the question banks on-line), tough demanding, are priceless.

If your problem is verbal, then i would advise you to try Powerscore CR Bible and Manhattan's Sentence Correction.

Above all don't EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP....

Best of luck
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2421

Kudos [?]: 10420 [0], given: 3784

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 00:01
Expert's post
netakay wrote:
YES, I TOOK GMAT 6 TIMES

Привет!
Hi there - just wanted to see what you ended up deciding/doing.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2010, 00:01