Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I want to make it into Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I want to make it into Wharton [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 12:25
Thanks to everyone who is reading this.

I am entering my junior year at Oregon State. I am a business finance major that is looking into getting into Wharton.

I have 2 years to prepare for entrance for the MBA program at Wharton. I have started studying for the GMAT. My question is - Where would be best to put all of my energy? I am prepared to dedicate all of my time to my studies. I have a 3.5 GPA (I got a C in economics and a bunch of B's), and I can retake those classes. Is it worth my time spending an additional 3 credit hours per term so that I can achieve a near 4.0 when I graduate? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

I enjoy trading stocks, and the reason that I want to get into Wharton is so that I can get hired at a large firm as a trader that is given my own capital to trade (and is trained well).

Thank you for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 13:09
Hi,

If you can retake these courses without jeopardizing the rest of your academic program this seems like a logical course of action.

I am a better perplexed by your insistence on Penn - it is a great program but there are a number of programs that would provide excellent preparation to work as a trader.

Hjort
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 15:37
You might want to retake the econ course, just because econ is such a vital foundation to almost any b-school curricullum, so that grade might stand out a bit. But, you also mentioned a "bunch of B's". Retaking a ton of classes to move your grade up just a notch doesn't seem like the best way to spend your time (or money).

Focus on getting a good job and internship and have a good time these last couple years. Undergrad only comes around once, so don't over stress yourself. A 3.4 is solid. If you can sneak the GMAT in, then that's great, if not there will be plenty of time in the future.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 16:39
Thanks for the responses! Best advice so far.

In response to why I want to choose Wharton: I chose Wharton because it is considered the best MBA program for finance. I couldn't really put trading in a major so I assumed finance was the closest subject.

I didn't know that there were schools that would better prepare me to become a trader. What schools are you talking about? I am very interested. :!:

Thanks for the advice on the B's. I think I'll retake a couple economics classes, and go for straight A's for my Junior and Senior year level classes. That should move my GPA up to at least 3.75.

Maybe instead of taking summer school to retake the "bunch of B's" I'll look for a good internship too like you said.

Once again thanks for the help. :-D thanks thanks thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2004, 11:14
Hi again,

Just to be clear, I was referring to retaking classes with grades of C or less. I agree that there is little point in retaking several 3.0 level classes and that an internship would be a better use of your summer.

As I mentioned before there are several great finance schools (including Penn). I do not get involved in the value judgment of which school is "the" best for all students since this is an individual decision. Nonetheless, there are several outstanding finance schools including MIT and Chicago that have also been declared the best schools in finance. In addition, the NYC elites, Columbia and NYU, should be considered as well. For present purposes, however, Penn is probably a good benchmark for the elite finance programs.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2004, 12:15
Thanks for the help. :-D

I'll take a look at MIT, Columbia, NYU and Chicago as well.